Gibson LP Studio or Epi LP Tribute?

Ralph onion

• Members

Check out the faded ebony ones that are exclusive to GC. Got different pickups, and are weight relieved, not chambered. Nice and hefty.

I've tried quite a few epi's, hoping to save a few bucks too. But even the nicest epi they had on the racks didnt feel up to the quality that the lowest end studio was. The epi's seemed like toys, this studio feels like a 'professional' guitar.

• Members

Check out the faded ebony ones that are exclusive to GC. Got different pickups, and are weight relieved, not chambered. Nice and hefty.

I've tried quite a few epi's, hoping to save a few bucks too. But even the nicest epi they had on the racks didnt feel up to the quality that the lowest end studio was. The epi's seemed like toys, this studio feels like a 'professional' guitar.

really? my faded ebony is weight relieved? not that it really matters, just interesting.

another vote for the gibson. it took me 3 nice epi lps to realize i wouldnt be happy till i got the real deal, even if it was the bare bones one. thats just me though.

• Members

There are several reasons why I don't like the Gibson Faded or VM Studios.

(these are all personal opinions)

1. It's ugly as sin to me
2. multipiece body, might as well get the Epi
3. no maple cap, so it doesn't sound like a Les Paul but more like an SG.

Now, if you are not concerned with resale value, the Epi is hands down a better guitar.

Reasons-
1. It sounds like a Les Paul
2. It has USA pickups, electronics
3. The finish is virtually indestructible

Before anyone gets upset, I own and have owned Gibson Les Pauls for most of the last 33 years, I've had Epis off and on during the last 21 years. Both are mass produced and make great guitars, some ok guitars, and total firewood.

The "good" studios are only $100 cheaper than a Traditional so for the price difference I'd go for the binding and better tops.

• Members

There are several reasons why I don't like the Gibson Faded or VM Studios.

(these are all personal opinions)

1. It's ugly as sin to me

2. multipiece body, might as well get the Epi

3. no maple cap, so it doesn't sound like a Les Paul but more like an SG.

Now, if you are not concerned with resale value, the Epi is hands down a better guitar.

Reasons-

1. It sounds like a Les Paul

2. It has USA pickups, electronics

3. The finish is virtually indestructible

Before anyone gets upset, I own and have owned Gibson Les Pauls for most of the last 33 years, I've had Epis off and on during the last 21 years. Both are mass produced and make great guitars, some ok guitars, and total firewood.

The "good" studios are only $100 cheaper than a Traditional so for the price difference I'd go for the binding and better tops.

The Studio is a fine guitar if you get a good setup-many leave the factory with poorly cut nuts and undressed frets. I've a good few Les Pauls also and they vary so much in tone that I don't think you can generalise and say a studio won't sound like a Les Paul. Your benchmark LP tone might not be someone elses either. Remember also that early LP Customs were all-mahogany; no maple cap. They sound like LPs to me!

• Members

when i went to gc to get my studio faded i went with the intentions of maybe getting an sg...the studio faded sound nothing like it, even with the same pickups and the all mahog body. i also happen to like the feel of the faded series necks, but i think those new epis have a satin neck finish which i have yet to feel.

• Members

easy as pie......get the gibson

I love the Gibson Les Paul Studio. I can't speak to the non-maple capped ones but I currently have 4 Les Paul Studios.

I have:

1998 with stock pickups

2005 with Lindy Fralin humbuckers

2006 with Lindy Fralin P92 pickups

2006 with BG Pure 90 pickups

They are fantastic guitars. Stripped down to the essentials with no binding and typically low on 'bling' they feel great and sound incredible.

• Members

Goddamit I am still confused! Do I go for all the bells and whistles of the Epi Tribute or the LP Gibson. This is a GAS bitch!

Remember, you don't play the bells and whistles, you play the guitar. Ultimately, get the one that calls to YOU. For me, it was the Studio, I couldn't be happier.

• Members

i would say go for the gibson faded studio. you will feel the difference. i have the satin ebony model and absolutely love it. i actually like it better than my full trim studio, as far as feel goes.

you cant beat the finish on the back of the neck on the faded gibsons IMO. it feels so natural.

• Members

This is hard as hell! I am going to go with the LP faded brown Gibson LP Studio. A hard decision for this GASer. I guess I am hooked on American made guitars. In the long run they retain their value. I wish it wernt so. But the Epi wont go up in resale value as long as I am here. But the Gibson will. Fact o life. The faded LP Studio has all the American made {censored} in it that the Epi LP Tribute brags about. I dont get all of the bells and whistles but I get a LP Gibson. I hope I done right here. Thanks to all that bothered to reply. Preciste it. Ralph

• Members

actually the current production Gibby's probably will not go up much, they push out way too many of them so they will never be rare or collectible if it's not a Custom Shop Gibson.

The Studio would be a good guitar but not one that is an investment, I see them used going for the same as the Epis do used.

• Members

actually the current production Gibby's probably will not go up much, they push out way too many of them so they will never be rare or collectible if it's not a Custom Shop Gibson.

The Studio would be a good guitar but not one that is an investment, I see them used going for the same as the Epis do used.

yep, and the edwards and tokai guitars are japanese made. not to get into the whole jap vs U.S. debate but..

as far as a studio or Epi goes, these are better made with better materials. and also there is a second hand market for these in specific circles, they tend to hold their value. plus for about 800 quid (around $1200) for the higher end ones, you can get long neck tenons and a laquer finish. if that kinda thing floats your boat.

dont get me wrong, my PRS and Musicman are both american and i dont think they could be produced as well or as with as much quality anywhere else, but for some kind of guitars, i'll always go for the Japanese analog. i've played some of these in the same price ranges as the studio's and they blow them away. in the $1200 to $1800 price range they blow the standards away..

Archived