wilkinson trem locks down well?

Selsaral

• Members

I am pondering getting a Carvin with the Wilkinson trem. If I did, I'd tighten down the springs like I do on my strat so that it won't move when I bend strings, but gives me some vibrato if I need it.

Is the Wilkinson good at this? I've never seen one in person so I don't know if the saddles are still at an appropriate angle when tightened down.

Any other comments on this trem unit?

• Members

I have had nothing but great experience with Wilkinson trems. I don't know if they still make, what I believe, was called the Convertable. It was a model that would lock when not using the trem. That was my favorite.

Trev Wilkinson does still make the convertible. But it's only available to European buyers. Apparently, either Gotoh's Wilkinson license doesn't extend to Europe or Trev Wilkinson has an exemption to still sell to that market.

In the US, the only options are the 4 or 5 Wilkinson trems Gotoh makes and markets, and the convertible is NOT one of them.

• Members

I think what matters more is how the guitar is routed? If there's material routed behind the bridge so that you can pull up, it probably wouldn't be possible to tighten it down like you can on a strat. It sounds like this is how the Carvins are built, which leads me away from getting the Wilky.

• Members

If I did, I'd tighten down the springs like I do on my strat so that it won't move when I bend strings, but gives me some vibrato if I need it.

Is the Wilkinson good at this?

I've got the Wilkinson on my partscaster Strat set up exactly like that -- springs tightened to the point that there's no float, the trem only slackens the strings and can't be used to raise the pitch -- and it works just fine.

Archived