Surf 90 output levels

rusholmeruffian

• Members

I'm one of those strange dudes who likes all of his guitars to have similar output levels, mainly so I don't have to change all my effect settings and gain levels when I swap guitars.

For those of you who have already bought and installed your GFS Surf 90s, how would you compare the output level to a typical Strat pickup? I'm about to put Carvin AP-11s (which are delightful in the Bolts I've played) into my parts Strat and want to know if they're going to be a reasonably close output match. I know that the AP-11s are a bit hotter than regular Strat pickups, since they're essentially a P90 design (bar magnet, steel polepieces) in a Strat-sized shell.

• Members

I don't own a strat, but the Surf 90s seem a bit hotter than your typical vintage single coil. Certainly much hotter than the lipstick pickup that was in my Tele, for whatever that's worth. Probably not much help.

They're not as hot as the Filtertrons in my other guitar.

• Members

I don't own a strat, but the Surf 90s seem a bit hotter than your typical vintage single coil. Certainly much hotter than the lipstick pickup that was in my Tele, for whatever that's worth. Probably not much help.

They're not as hot as the Filtertrons in my other guitar.

Other than output what do you think of them?

Archived