Gibson SG Faded Special

sickman

• Members

What's the deal? I've been interested in SG's for some time... mainly a SG classic with P90s. However, it seems like used they go for almost the same price as a new one. Same deal for the Standards.

Seems like you can get a Gibson SG Faded Specials for around $600. Is it a worthy SG?

• Members

Used, you can usually swing them for $500 or less. $400 isn't totally uncommon.

That said, I've played good and bad ones. The good ones have been pro quality, and the bad ones, though uncommon, were terrible. Price and 'bang for your buck' completely aside, the quality can cut a pretty wide swath.

• Members

I have an awesome Faded. Perfect fretwork, one piece body.

That being said, I hated the pickups in it after a while. I still have it, and it's been modded quite extensively:

SDC10582.jpg

That being said, out of the box, and in general, the Classic is a all around better guitar.

Mine required no setup, the pickups are perfect, it looks great, sounds awesome. Its quickly become my number one. Sorry I don't have a good picture of it, this is mine, but I was experimenting with some photo editing gizmos... mine is actually red.

25515_379399557910_782147910_3838212_191

I also agree with the above post. My faded kicks all kinds of ass. But I have gone to the store to demo some amps, and pull a faded off the wall to find a big mess. Not everytime, but there are some serious dogs out there in the faded line.

• Members

I have an awesome Faded. Perfect fretwork, one piece body.

That being said, I hated the pickups in it after a while. I still have it, and it's been modded quite extensively:

SDC10582.jpg

That being said, out of the box, and in general, the Classic is a all around better guitar.

Mine required no setup, the pickups are perfect, it looks great, sounds awesome. Its quickly become my number one. Sorry I don't have a good picture of it, this is mine, but I was experimenting with some photo editing gizmos... mine is actually red.

25515_379399557910_782147910_3838212_191

I also agree with the above post. My faded kicks all kinds of ass. But I have gone to the store to demo some amps, and pull a faded off the wall to find a big mess. Not everytime, but there are some serious dogs out there in the faded line.

That classic is sweet. :love:

I've wanted a SG for some time and the classic popped up after I picked up an Agile Goldtop copy with soapbars. The P90s in it sounded sweet enough to convince me I may need to invest some money in a lifelong P90 guitar. Maybe I will compromise for now and upgrade the soapbars in the Agile. I can live with the neck, but I'd like a little more bite from the bridge.

Archived