SSS rock rhythm pedals, and SSS approach help needed.

Orange Jackson

• Members

Up until recently, I've always played HH guitars, but about a week ago finished putting together a SSS guitar with Dimarzo,

Area 58 neck,

Area 67 middle,

and a Virtual Solo in the bridge.

I'm use to using the neck humbucker for cleans (largely) and the bridge humbucker for rhythm rock tones. Also use a Keeley DS-1 and a DOD overdrive pedal, and or cranked amp.

On an HH, all of these things work pretty intuitively and well imo. But with the SSS set up, the Ds-1 sounds really pretty poor.

Do guys usually use distortion with single coils, or is Fuzz more the go to effect for the rhythm tone? Really miss the Humbucker in the bridge, but appreciate that I just need to learn something here.

What position do you use for your rhythm with gain on it? I'm thinking the middle might be my best bet. The bridge is really a nice lead tone, but for rhythm it's just super thin and nasally. This makes me think that maybe I'm using the wrong type of pedal for that tone. That, or perhaps the Virtual Solo is not like other bridge single coils in that it does not play well as a rhythm pickup?

Anyway, just trying to figure this one out. Any tips on how you use your SSS and your setup are much appreciated.

• Members

Do you know what Strat guys use? This is out of my turf.

Well, it seems like a lot of guys use fuzz with single coils. Perhaps a lot use distortion as well too though. Which ones, that I don't know. But jumping the bridge to the tone control did help a lot, knocked the high fizz off of it.

Archived