School me on auto-trim locking tuners - all opinions welcome

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

I've had guitars with locking tuners, but never ones with the auto-trim mechanism. Are they as stable as other locking tuners? As a guy who's getting lazy, I like the idea of not having to snip the string tips off after re-stringing and I know it shouldn't matter about how many revolutions are on the tuning ped since the locking screw holds the string tight inside, but it just seems weird to me not to have any of the string on the peg.

• Members
It's great how the reviews mentioning problems don't specify the type of guitar. 4 of the strings on my guitar go through string trees, would that mess it up?

I have them on a strat copy...the string trees can be as much the issue as anything. If you have a well cut and lubricated nut and proper string trees, tuning issues shouldn't be much of a problem. Too many people think that locking tuners are a panacea for tuning problems, when in reality the machines themselves are the not typically the weak link.

• Members
I have them on a strat copy...the string trees can be as much the issue as anything. If you have a well cut and lubricated nut and proper string trees, tuning issues shouldn't be much of a problem. Too many people think that locking tuners are a panacea for tuning problems, when in reality the machines themselves are the not typically the weak link.

I wondered if the auto-trim tuners malfunctioned because of the angle or pressure of the string trees. Sorry for not being clear. I don't really have tuning problems per se, so I wouldn't inquire about these things were it not for the auto-trim feature.

Archived