Guitar Pro 6

GuitarNoobie

• Members

When GP4 first came out, I tried the demo and had some questions. They refused to answer anything unless I actually paid for the software first and this pissed me off so much that I refused to buy.

I tried Progression last year but for $150, it didn't do anything nearly as well a Power Tab Editor as far as notation goes. For crying out loud, how can you have notation software for guitarists and not have pinch harmonics? (And, no, I am NOT Zakk!)

Despite years of promises, Power Tab Editor will never have a new release with the current owner and even though my primary use for tab software is to save my original ideas as accurately as possible without having to notate the old fashioned way using pen and paper, I like the idea of having realistic playback.

So I went ahead and bought GP6. They obviously took design ideas from Progression's interface. The new RSE is nice but I'd rather have VST support so that I can use Pod Farm and apply my own actual guitar tones.

Here is a sample from GP6 exported as WAV and converted to MP3. It's my version of Big Star's In the Street which Cheap Trick did a version of for the theme to That 70's Show. I combined both versions, did some arranging and added a guitar solo section.

http://www.tachyonburst.com/music/mp3/covers/inthestreet.mp3

• Members

Is it worth the $59 if you're not doing a lot of tab editing?

I use TuxGuitar to practice with. Yes, the instruments are cheezy sounding MIDI, but for practice I really don't care- all I care about it being able to hear the rhythm and mute the track I'm playing. It's got features to loop sections of the score, and speed up slowly, so that's covered, and it understands both GP and powertab files. Most of the other features listed on the GP6 page (chord editor, scale engine, etc) are also there in Tux.

Editing is the one area where the tools in GP6 look much better, but for those of us still learning the guitar that's not as important right now

Is there something else in GP6 that's so much better it's worth the cash?

Archived