Laney VC30

• Members

I am getting the amp second hand so I dunno if I have a warranty.

Thing is that I cant hear from the reviews how much gain the amp has and how thick is it?

I have the 1x12 version of the VC30 - it's a sweet amp - no good for modern metal, but very happy with anything else! Great f/x loop and it loves pedals - especially driving the hot channel! Also generates plenty of volume...

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and have had no reliability issues.

The amp has plenty of natural gain for most 'rock' scenarios - as I said earlier, this would be no good for metal by itself as it's not designed to be a metal amp...

The amp is as 'thick' as you dial it up to be! Plenty of bottom end and mid if you want and obviously no shortage of glassy top end, either! It does have a set of tone controls that are very effective in tone shaping...

It's a great all round amp that is capable of some tasty tones - I love mine!

• Members

I have the 1x12 version of the VC30 - it's a sweet amp - no good for modern metal, but very happy with anything else! Great f/x loop and it loves pedals - especially driving the hot channel! Also generates plenty of volume...

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and have had no reliability issues.

The amp has plenty of natural gain for most 'rock' scenarios - as I said earlier, this would be no good for metal by itself as it's not designed to be a metal amp...

The amp is as 'thick' as you dial it up to be! Plenty of bottom end and mid if you want and obviously no shortage of glassy top end, either! It does have a set of tone controls that are very effective in tone shaping...

It's a great all round amp that is capable of some tasty tones - I love mine!

Well, I am no metal player, I never get heavier than Tool and Kyuss type stuff.

But I need the amp to be ballsy and thick.

• Members

I have a 1x12 and while I like the sound it has, I wouldn't call it thick. It has a very solid tone, but it doesn't have a growl to it really. It can do a good classic rock sound, but not really hard rock. It does take pedals well though, and it's loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer.

Mine has been reliable, but mine was still made in England. My only complaint since I play at home mainly is that 3 on the volume knob sounds the same as it does on 10.

It's a fun amp, but I don't know if it's what you want.

• Members

I have a 1x12 and while I like the sound it has, I wouldn't call it thick. It has a very solid tone, but it doesn't have a growl to it really. It can do a good classic rock sound, but not really hard rock. It does take pedals well though, and it's loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer.

Mine has been reliable, but mine was still made in England. My only complaint since I play at home mainly is that 3 on the volume knob sounds the same as it does on 10.

It's a fun amp, but I don't know if it's what you want.

Is it ballsy?

Does it sound too thin or trebly?

• Members

More smooth than ballsy. I set the tone controls around B6/M5/T3 to get a balanced sound. Mine sounds as thick as a 1x12 open back is going to sound. I've played it with a drummer and another guitarist with a dual rec and it held it's own at equal volumes.

It's not a wimpy tone at all, but it's supposed to be similar to the AC30, so think Brian May type stuff. It's not Marshall-esque growl. I like it for it's 60-70's rock thing. I use pedals when I want 80's-90's gain and the power section keeps it nice and strong. I'd call it assertive more than aggressive if that makes any sense.

• Members

Can't speak for this specific amp but I thought Laneys were celebrated for their reliability? I had a GH100L that was built like a tank. I'm not particularly nice to my gear and in the several years that I owned it, never once did I have a single problem with it. And the tone on that was so {censored}ing gnarly, cut like a knife through warm butter. I miss it, but I wanted a head with a designated clean channel (GH100L was all drive) and I can't really justify having 2 tube amp heads. I have a Carvin MTS head now, great cleans and leads but the lead channel isn't as good as the GH100L... but then again I'm convinced that the Laney GH100L has one of the gnarliest high-gain lead tones of any amp. I know this probably doesn't help much.

Archived