For the Builders out there HELP !

bzja

• Members

Here is the plan, as previously posted here I am building a set neck Ric 620 style. I have templates cut, blank glued and planed flat. Trapeze tailpiece with a Ric bridge. The question is still about the neck angle. Fenders are 0 degrees, Les Paul Jr's are ~3 Degrees. Should I split the difference and go with 2, or should it be flat? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I'd imagine it depends on the kind of bridge you're using. Tune-o-matics are generally taller than 'normal' Fender bridges, and thus require more neck angle to sit correctly.

...as well as the added height of the carved top on a LP...

• Members

I'd suggest drawing it out, then calculating the angle from there. Start with the bridge near the lowest position it will go and draw the string line lying on top of the frets. You'll want to add in the fret crown height and start with the string at the proper height over the frets at the nut. Even if you don't have a computer to do it, you can still get close enough to be within adjustment range. You'll have your angle from the drawing.

Or, simply build the neck so that it's proud of the body a bit. I do this on some of my guitars so that I can do it without an angle.

Archived