New amp rig (sort of)

_pete_

• Members

I know this isn't guitars but the amp forum is not a place I like to go.

I made a big change to my setup.

I've had my zenTera head for nearly 5 years and loved it. It's never had a glitch or given me anything to complain about but Monday I listed it on Ebay and had it sold in an hour for exactly what I was asking.

I'd been spending a lot of time dialing in the Digitech GSP1101 and finally got it to the point where it was sounding as good or better than the zen. The better is that the GSP is much less noisy. The zen sounded great but it is a noisy amp on any settings with gain. The GSP noise gate helped but noise gates are just a band-aid.

I added an ART SLA 1 power amp to my rack and it sounds awesome. Tons of power out of one rack space.

My signal goes from the wireless to a Korg tuner, to the GSP, to a Midiverb III, to the SLA, then out to my stereo 4x12. It sounds as good as what I had but has zero noise (the gate is now off), and the whole rig is very simple now. There are also direct boxes (with cab sims)in the back of the rack to send a feed to my computer for recording or to the PA for live use.

The GSP can only do one time based effect at a time so the Midiverb is only there to add chorus to a patch if the GSP is doing a flange, phase shift, or harmony. Some day I hope to replace the GSP and MV III with an Axe FX but this is doing nicely for now.

The small H&K amp, the Kitty Hawk Midi patchbay, Polyswitch, and the Zoom a2 handle the acoustic guitar and piezo signals and switching.

Pics:

rack1.jpg

rig1.jpg

controller.jpg

Archived