Fabric Guitar

Ital_Stal

• Members

So i think im going to bite the bullet and tackle my first fabric refinish, im going to do it on the jackson dnky that i was refinishing on my blog:

ThisisAnthony.blogspot.com

and im stuck between two different disigns.

I found this sweet paisley-esk material (note the pink and green version of it behind it as well) at fabricland near my house

30050_400855857053_514142053_4400868_493

or this sweet snakeskin off of ebay (id fill the blue spots in with yellow paint)

30050_400855867053_514142053_4400869_675

on both i would do a yellow burst around the edges and only the front face is going to get fabricized.

let me know which one you think would look sweeter on a single hum super-strat.

• Members

If you can pull the snakeskin off, it'd be cool. Only if you can really get the blue out.

When I have done Fabric refins, I always found the best patterns to be those without too much symmetry and close repeats. So the Paisley in your pic may be a bit too plain (lots of symmetry) unless you put it on at a 45 degree angle, say. Otherwise there's not much to attract the eye.

Finding the right fabric is hard. You have to basically have something that looks a bit more like art, and less like fabric/curtains, for the best result. Lots of space between repeats works best, or other wise a tight and crowded, dense repeat (so you have trouble finding the repeat!)

If you can find a tighter, more traditional paisley, that'd be good IMO. Like the Sambora limited edition signature or the pink and blue Paisley Japanese Strats.

• Members

I hope you're going to be keeping us up to date with this. I've been toying with the idea of Snake-skinning my guitar for some time, so it'd be amazing to see the outcome of this!

Of course! Check out my blog link shows all the prep work of the guitar. I update posts the day after i do steps so it'll all be on there.

and hopefully with the help of a little fabric paint the blue will be non-existent.

• Members

This is what I mean about trying for an "art print": and gaps between repeats.

DSCN0848.jpg

And one with a dense repeat, so you can't easily make it out.

DSCN1272.jpg

Never finished the gold one actually!

Fabric refins are fun and easy, and you can pick your pattern. A few guys use Fabrics with Japanese motifs on from Kona Bay. Just go slow and make sure your sanding sealer is flat as can be after application/sanding. Any runs or drifts or low spots or high spots really show up.

• Members

Routing done before or after the fabric/finish is applied?

Surfy

For the binding on the floral one, routing was done after. All other routing is factory standard. (Was a Squier Tele.)

For the gold one, no binding routing needed, was already bound. I just was careful to scrape the fabric with a scalpel so it does nto overrun intot he binding. Easier than it sounds.

I abandoned the Gold one after a computer speaker with a metal base fell on it, and scraped a 2X3 inch long scrape down to bare wood on the top bout, (this after I spent a while refinning the back in black). I just got too annoyed to retouch and repsray and resand.

It's strung up and plays fine, but just never got final sanding or retouched up.

I have a whole boxful of fabric waiting to go on guitars. It can get addictive.

• Members

So i think im going to bite the bullet and tackle my first fabric refinish, im going to do it on the jackson dnky that i was refinishing on my blog:

ThisisAnthony.blogspot.com

and im stuck between two different disigns.

I found this sweet paisley-esk material (note the pink and green version of it behind it as well) at fabricland near my house

30050_400855857053_514142053_4400868_493

or this sweet snakeskin off of ebay (id fill the blue spots in with yellow paint)

30050_400855867053_514142053_4400869_675

on both i would do a yellow burst around the edges and only the front face is going to get fabricized.

let me know which one you think would look sweeter on a single hum super-strat.

Actually, that turqoise blue is a seriously great color compliment to the brown and tan tones in the snakeskin. I dont think you could make it any better by changing the color, but definitely could easily make it way less appealing. Not saying dont try it, this guitar is your vision, but that fabric, design pattern and those colors are extremely complimentary together exactly like they are. I would LOVE to do a guitar using that fabric as it is!!!

Archived