Transmitting Audio to a Streamimg Server

midinut

• Members

I have a Yamaha O1x mixer that uses mLAN (ethernet) to connect my PC, mixer, and Motif ES. I need to get the audio output to transmit to a streaming server over the internet. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Members

I have a Yamaha O1x mixer that uses mLAN (ethernet) to connect my PC, mixer, and Motif ES. I need to get the audio output to transmit to a streaming server over the internet. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The first question to ask is "what kind of streaming server?"

I kind of have a feeling the answer is going to be the Quicktime streaming server. Unless you are planning a live event, the critical elements are probably just file formats, naming and where you park them on the server. The webhost probably has a brief document on that. Here is an old and simple example for one popular host.

Here's a pdf backgrounder on the QuickTime streaming platform.

http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/QT_Streaming_TB.pdf

The mLan doesn't enter in to the equation. That just handles the MIDI routing. Your audio streaming will just be audio, not MIDI and audio.

ok, I know that mLan handles the audio routing, too. (I have an i88X.) It is just that mLan probably has no special powers to be applied to audio streaming as most people know it. That streaming is typically managed by a streaming server program that lives at a webhost.

• Members

Right.

People often refer to some distinctly different processes by "streaming."

Simple 'http streaming' can be as easy as, say, using an m3u 'pointer file' to point to the address of the Mp3 on a server. (The server hosting the m3u file must have a simple mode switch turned on but any modern hosting company worth its salt will have this in place.) Streaming with other formats like QT, can get more complicated.

And real-time, live streaming (as through Shoutcast) is very different indeed.

Archived