Eastwood Sidejack Baritone

Loxley

• Members

I'm seriously considering getting one. I want a single coil baritone with a trem, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with the rave reviews this thing gets. What say you guys, yay or nay?

If yay, I'm also trying to figure out what finish to get. They both look great!

• Members

I have heard good and bad about Eastwood. If it is getting good reviews then get it. How much is the sidejack? I have always loved Eastwoods but they make expensive guitars made of cheap materials. For example they have a 500/600 guitar made of basswood. It sure looks nice but I will not pay that much for a guitar with cheap wood. They seem to just expect high prices because they are really the only ones who make those styles. But I don't think the sidejack is one of those. I suppose it is hit and miss. They look killer. If it is a nice price with nice materials then go for it!

Well I looked into it and its 400 and the body is basswood.

Now I haven't played a basswood guitar due to reviews of it not sounding that great. But apparently it can sound pretty good on some occasions. For 400 I would say go for it if it is what you are looking for. Basswood is a downer but I imagine it shouldn't matter too much. Plus it isn't a huge investment. I am actually impressed. Just look at videos and see if you like the sound.

Is there any dealer near you?

Another update! I say go with the nice blue they have. Black looks nice but the blue pops to me. Black is plain and expected. The blue is unique. Fits the guitar well I think.

• Members

I'm no expert on tonewoods, but I never heard anything bad about basswood. What is there particularly to frown about it? I work for the Chicago Music Exchange and I think we might be an Eastwood dealer, so I could probably get a decent discount.

I wish I could find a nice vintage baritone of this sort, but baritones in general seem very hard to come by, let alone one that has a trem.

• Members

I have read that as a tonewood, basswood is fine, it's only flaw is that it is a softer wood and song gets dinged easily.

Hmm, imagine a balsa wood guitar. It looks cool, but someone coughs and it flies out of your hands.

• Members

I'm no expert on tonewoods, but I never heard anything bad about basswood. What is there particularly to frown about it? I work for the Chicago Music Exchange and I think we might be an Eastwood dealer, so I could probably get a decent discount.

I wish I could find a nice vintage baritone of this sort, but baritones in general seem very hard to come by, let alone one that has a trem.

As far as I know, you (CME) still are an Eastwood dealer. The last Bari I bought (before I opted for 7-string guitars over baris), was a Sidejack Baritone I bought new from you guys (CME) last year. It was actually a pretty good guitar. The pickups are pretty hot. The neck's good too - sort of shades of a Mosrite. The only reason I got rid of it, was because I hit a money crunch and had to sell it. When I finally had more cash, I decided to get a 7-string instead, to retain the higher (note) range I lost, when I played baris.

As for the ripping on basswood as a cheap wood - I hate to burst your bubble, there are more than a few guitars going for more than $1000, that have basswood bodies (Ibanezes come to mind). I've never had any complaints sound-wise about the basswood bodied guitars I've had over the years.

• Members

that's hot!

anyone know how hot the pups are?

Then ones in my old Sidejack Baritone, were about 8.8K or 9K DC resistance P90s. Combined with the heavier gauge strings, my Sidejack Bari drove my amps pretty hard. Eastwood pickups in general, are pretty hot. The ones in my old Coronado, could do some serious grind!

• Members

I have two Eastwoods, and I like them a lot. Some people think they're overpriced for Korean and Chinese guitars, but in the last year and a half, they've kept their prices the same, while a lot of other guitar makers have raised prices. So I think that's not so much true anymore.

• Members

I have two Eastwoods, and I like them a lot. Some people think they're overpriced for Korean and Chinese guitars, but in the last year and a half, they've kept their prices the same, while a lot of other guitar makers have raised prices. So I think that's not so much true anymore.

Not to mention they look damn cool as well

Archived