Talk to me about G&L ASAT Classic Tribute vs. MIM Telecaster

rebelzed

• Members

I'm looking at buying a $400ish tele-style guitar and I'm interested in learning what you perceive as the strengths/weaknesses of the G&L ASAT Tribute and the MIM Fender Tele. How do the necks compare; which is thicker/better/easier to play? Does either tend to be brighter/darker? Difference in pickups? Can you get more sounds out of one or the other? Difference in electronics quality? Etc, etc...

Which is the overall better investment in your opinion? Thanks for the input :thu:

• Members

Last I knew G&L Tributes came with genuine G&L (American) pickups.

I had a MIM Tele a while back and liked it a lot. I've never had a Tribute, but I do have an ASAT and love it. Between the two, the G&L has a thin C neck (although you can order various necks from G&L), while the MIM had a chunky C neck.

That's all I've got to offer - I don't think you could go wrong or would be saddened by either!

• Members

I just got a Fender Highway One Tele for $450. It plays really good. A few people on here said the pickups were underwhelming, but they sound good to me... they sound throaty and like it will be easy to cut through with a band. At this point I am planning on making it my #1 guitar with the cover band I play with. It is too hard on my back/shoulder to play a Les Paul for 4 hours.

I can't comment on the other guitars you mentioned, but I thought I'd mention the Highway One since it is pretty close to your price range.

Archived