You gigging pros out there, do you sometime wish you were hobby musicians?

Jkater

• Members

As long as you have a gig on the books, you're in the game.

My last band imploded about 2004. I took a year off and didn't miss it a bit. I came back and hooked up with some mercenaries who taught me a new business model. They book a gig, call some guys to see who's free and then show up and kick ass. I have come in as a sideman a few times, but I don't have the repertoire these guys do. But, I have hired them lots of times and it is absolutely ideal.

I play rockabilly, so the music is pretty intuitive to the right guys. As a matter of fact, over rehearsing absolutely ruins it. Kinda like blues. I have played a hundred gigs with this model and have had maybe 4 rehearsals. I played some great rooms and made some really good money. I front, so I call the tunes. It's 100% songs I like. Nothing is put to a vote. I guarantee the sidemen their money (which ain't bad) and I keep the rest. Sometimes I make more. Once or twice I made less :thu:

I quit drinking about 18 months ago and essentially quit hustling gigs. I just couldn't bring myself to go into a bar in the afternoon to book a gig and not buy a beer. I have been blessed to have been kept busy anyway (at least as busy as I wanted) because the bars recognize that these are good players who are having a great time. Good for everyone.

Archived