Wilkinson Tremolo Systems

swampfox99

• Members

Originally posted by swampfox99

Can Wilkinson trems be blocked, if so how? Pics would help.

All a blocked trem is you place a block of wood in the gap between the trem underneath the guitar and the guitar so that the trem doesnt move .

Why would you have a Wilkison trem if you want it blocked?

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Not a very good design either.

Agreed - seems an odd position .... I like having the bar under my hand as I play when I need it .... that seems it would take too much of a conscious move to slide your hand back there to use it. And being that short, you'd lose leverage, which I would equate with losing subtle nuances to vibrato.....I think...heh Not for me...

• Members

Agreed - seems an odd position .... I like having the bar under my hand as I play when I need it .... that seems it would take too much of a conscious move to slide your hand back there to use it. Not for me...

Yeah...regular bars are pretty convenient......if you're just doing dive-bombs and that other lame 'trick', why change it at all? New innovations are supposed to IMPROVE the way things function, not take 2 steps backward....

• Members

In Europe, people can buy the Wilkinson VS100C convertible tremolo. These can be locked to become a fixed bridge. Trev Wilkinson sells these through his European dealers but THEY WILL NOT SELL TO NORTH AMERICA, it would violate his deal with Gotoh.

Gotoh owns the Wilkinson brand in North America and they don't choose to offer the VS100C. It was offered before the sale to Gotoh, but I've never seen a used or NOS one for sale.

The only UK dealers I've seen list Trev Wilkinson's VS100C insist they won't ship them across the pond.

• Members

I think that if you put a properly sized piece of wood on the spring/claw side of the block and tightened the springs it could be made quite stable. The wood should be the size required to make the bridge parallel to the top of the guitar.

• Members
I think that if you put a properly sized piece of wood on the spring/claw side of the block and tightened the springs it could be made quite stable. The wood should be the size required to make the bridge parallel to the top of the guitar.

That'd work .... I have a Wilkinson trem on one of my guitars, and it's incredible in terms of returning to tune - dunno if it's the trem itself, the locking tuners, or what, but .... it's amazingly good. If I don't want a trem on a guitar, I grab the LP :lol:

Archived