RIP Alesis founder Keith Barr

• Members

I stand by what I said in post 14. The impetus for the SR-16 was the Boss DR-550.

No question about that, but also no question that the techniques employed in the SR-16 were pretty cool. Regardless of who gave the marching orders, my hat's off to you for an excellent implementation.

Btw, who deleted my post about the poetry? Was that you? I wasn

• Members

he was a scientist and an inventor, and considered the type of stuff I did for Alesis (I worked there from 1992-2000) a necessary evil that allowed him to have the income to continue inventing. But his approach was different than just about any other product designer I've ever met in this business. He refused to copy anything that already existed; one of the caveats of Alesis products during those days was that they had to fill needs that nothing else did, in ways of either functionality or accessibility, or both.

retouching

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I used to build Alesis gear at PDS in Burbank in the late 80's. I assembed and sound tested reverb units to be used in computer systems. I watched their crummy mixers roll off the assembly line, then back on. They were of monolithic design, meaning that every potentiometer was an integral part of the circuit. One pot fails, the unit is junk...

Archived