Proximity Effect.... (I love it!)

Bruce Swedien

• CMS Author

1. I'm interested in thoughts from Bruce or others re. proximity effect with horns. It seems to me that many good horn players work the mic as a good singer would. For that reason I think it is unfortunate when a horn player uses a mic attached to their horn, as many do when playing live.

"Horns" covers a lot of instruments. What horn do you have in mind? Do you play the instrument? Do you "work" the mic? I've seen sax players who move in closer to the mic when they're playing softer, but there's not enough low end in the instrument to really be boosted by proximity. They're just keeping the volume up. And generally tuba players don't "work" a mic.

Also singers who wear head mounted mics are missing an opportunity for greater expressiveness.

Singers who wear a head-mounted mic generally do so because their show is about dance and nobody really cares about their voice. If they need an effect, they have an engineer who knows the routine to provide it. If they want to sing an emotional song (and are capable of pulling it off) you'll find that they'll usually hand-hold a wireless mic and work it like a singer who knows how to work a mic.

Y'know, I think some of you guys are getting kind of nutso about proximity effect, like it's something new and exciting. Maybe it is for you. Experiment, don't speculate. It's been around for a long time, it's been used, and abused, and sometimes we just wish the singer would stay in one place and not mess with it. Just because Bruce likes it doesn't mean he has his singers a quarter inch from the mic all the time. He works with good singers who know what they want and how to get it, and he gives them the tools to do their job so he doesn't have to work so hard.

• Members

Well it's a world of individuals isn't it . I'm a Baritone , and I find myself using the built in roll off in most mics... The "P" effect just gives me more of what I already have enough of.

Nice thread though , and it's real nice to hear from someone who has been there and done that like Bruce .... Keep it coming!!

Archived