SX Furian Tele's.. Who has experience with 'em?

Silverburst LP

• Members

Would have used the search, but... it doesn't seem to exist.

I have a highly modded Les Paul Custom and another highly modded MIM Strat, but have always wanted a Tele. Looking at prices, even the MIM's and Squiers, I decided to take a chance on the 109$ SX Furian from Rondo, the P-90 neck version:

stl50p90stkvwh1.jpg

I mean, it's alder, maple neck, cool aged fretboard look... I plan to put better guts in it, but for the price, I figured what the hell. I do my own setups, so out-of-the-box issues shouldn't be a problem.

What should I expect from this guitar? Do they get pretty close to genuine tele twang or are they missing something? Will the frets bite me? Do they hold tune, stock? Scratchy pots?

I know it's a cheapy, but I believe with some love and mods, it can be a great guitar capable of standing up to much pricier models.

Who's got 'em? Opinions?

• Members

I have one "furian" tele I bought used.

Honestly, I love it, but I have done a number of mods to it. Mine has an amazing quilted maple fingerboard.

Here is what I did to it:

New tuners (stock ones are bad)

Graphtec nut (stock plastic nut is really bad)

GFS Fatbody neck and bridge pickup (stock pickups worked, were ok at best)

4-way switch

New pots (kept the jack, but it could use replacing)

GFS stainless saddles

The fretwork on this guitar is perfect. The neck is fat and chunky.

These pics were taken when it was stock:

sxtele01.jpg

sxtele09.jpg

sxtele14.jpg

sxtele15.jpg

Here is a tune I did in a jam here on HC with that guitar and a crate v18 (modded):

http://wagner-usa.net/tunez/deviledchicken_mixdown01.mp3

Honestly, I know this is an el-cheapo guitar price wise and even with the mods I did it will never actually be worth anything, but it's a really nice playing ax. I truly consider it a valuable guitar... to me anyway.

• Members

Always wondered who liked the SX necks...

Like the carve, fretwork, etc - but HATE the orangish stain. Wow I hate it. Hasn't stopped me from buying SX, but I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about that line if it weren't for the stain color.

Glad y'all are good with it - figured somebody must want them that way!

Archived