Hagstrom Viking IIP/Indie IRK5

Indie101

• Members

I own a Hagstrom Viking IIp. I love it. Never heard of the Indie.

They're a predominantly British brand, as far as I know (although they have started selling in America). Some interesting looking designs. The Irk5 looks like it's gonna get them a lawsuit pretty quick:

IRK5.jpg

• Members

They're a predominantly British brand, as far as I know (although they have started selling in America). Some interesting looking designs. The Irk5 looks like it's gonna get them a lawsuit pretty quick:

IRK5.jpg

Yousers! If the price is right I'd grab one of those before they get sued into oblivion just to have one!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

IRK5.jpg

Just bought one of these, in the 12-string version. I am impressed. It cost me $499 new. The pickups faithfully reproduce both the sound and look of the Rick, but the neck is more comfortable, not so cramped so that it's easy to do individual string picking on the 12-string. Action is less than 1mm at the 12th fret, and there are 24 frets. For a 12-string, this is an easy and non-tiring guitar go play.

It has a maple neck and hollow alder body (feedback is an issue). The 12-string has a stop tailpiece (see the lousy photo) and a stereo toggle I haven't figured out how to use. Workmanship and build quality are as good as anyone could ask for. So far, I'm happy with it -- reasonable price, sounds great, easy to play. I suppose the Rick look is an acquired taste...

(Incidentally, I got a chance to A-B this guitar against the genuine Rickenbacker 12-string, and this Indie was simply easier to play -- I'd have chosen it if they were the same price. As it was, it was a no-brainer).

P1010843.jpg

• Members

i played some Indies not long ago in a store and the dude was telling me that the owners made a bucket load of money in some other business and now making guitars is kind of a hobby business, they want to make really good guitars at affordable prices. They certainly are nice guitars and have great sounding pickups. Their P90 pups sound terrific.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

If you want one that is correct pick the Dillion from http://www.jsdguitarshack.com they have all the looks correct down to the headstock but not the color and they are rumored to be made in the former Tokai factory. All Canadian Maple and expensive with shipping to the us.:thu: There are many dealers in the US that carry Indie Guitars Like Crossroads music in NY, they list the IRK5 and Mountain Wind Guitars (they don't list any guitars just who they are a dealer for) just to name a few.

Archived