Anyone own a Sterling/MM AX40? Opinions?

evh1984

• Members

I'm seriously considering one of these since I cannot seem to find one of the old OLP MM1F's that I want (natural color). Specs look great and the price is nice for what you get.

I know these were discussed when they were first coming out, but does anyone own/played one and what are your opinions?

586783.jpg

Music Man AX40 Electric Guitar Features:

Basswood body with creme binding, tummy contour

Quilted maple veneer top

Sterling double-locking tremolo

Locking nut

25-1/2" scale

Maple neck with asymmetrical neck carve

5 bolt Music Man-designed neck joint

Maple fingerboard

22 medium jumbo frets

1.63" (41.5mm) nut width

2 Sterling A5 zebra humbuckers

3-way selector

Music Man-designed hardtail bridge

Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment

Music Man 4+2 headstock

Chrome locking tuners

• Members

I played it a couple of times. Didn't bond with it. But in all fairness, it was at a Guitar Center and setup pretty poorly. Someone stole the locking nut assembly so it wouldn't stay in tune at all. They said they wouldn't get any in until that one sold and they won't replace the locking nut.

Seemed to be priced high for what it is though. Cheap floyd, thin veneer finish over basswood, cheap tuners, cheap pickups. $200 would make it a steal. $500 bucks makes it over priced.

-Mc

• Members

I played one at a music dealer that specializes in Music Man guitars. It was great. It felt like the real thing, had great action, and a smooth neck. I didn't get a chance to plug it in, though.

If you're considering one, get it from Pete Dubaldo at Dubaldo's Music Center in Manchester, CT. I'm pretty sure he ships guitars, and he'll make sure it comes to you set up perfectly.

• Members

I'm seriously considering one of these since I cannot seem to find one of the old OLP MM1F's that I want (natural color). Specs look great and the price is nice for what you get.

I know these were discussed when they were first coming out, but does anyone own/played one and what are your opinions?

586783.jpg

Music Man AX40 Electric Guitar Features:

Basswood body with creme binding, tummy contour

Quilted maple veneer top

Sterling double-locking tremolo

Locking nut

25-1/2" scale

Maple neck with asymmetrical neck carve

5 bolt Music Man-designed neck joint

Maple fingerboard

22 medium jumbo frets

1.63" (41.5mm) nut width

2 Sterling A5 zebra humbuckers

3-way selector

Music Man-designed hardtail bridge

Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment

Music Man 4+2 headstock

Chrome locking tuners

I hear you can get them pretty cheap from Musicians Friend

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why didnt they make different colors and without the maple cap.

id pick one up if they had more colors its been a dam year already.

At Namm they will be releasing a really nice looking transparent Blue. Also, a Silo30 that is a copy of the silhouette special...

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I just played one at Guitar Center (pretty sure it had the new 16'' radius).

Fell in love with the neck. It fit in my hand very nicely. Nowhere near as fast as my Ibanez RG, but sooo much more comfortable. I could play that guitar all day.

Setup at Guitar Center was not to my liking... The floyd was floating off the body, rather than being flush mounted (Personal preference). The action was ok, but could be a little lower. Pickups seemed to be rather high, but sounded good. Distorted, the pickups loose some clarity, but clean they sound exceptional for stock pickups... Pickups will feedback with little effort, which can be good or bad depending on the type of music you play. Harmonics jumped off this thing! with some better pickups and electronics, I think it would easily hold its own against an offshore wolfgang.

Guitar center wouldn't let me use a trem arm to play with the floyd, but it seemed pretty solid... could probably use a bigger block. Stayed in tune well, but it wasn't perfect...

Overall, I think i'm going to buy one and mod it...

Not sure which pickups to put in... I have a Tone Zone in my el-cheap-o RG120 and it sounds a million times better than the stock pickups... I also put in a coil tap.

Will either go with:

1. Frankenstien Humbucker in the bridge and an Air norton or a sustainer in the neck

2. Tone-Zone / Air norton combo

3. EVH Wolfgang pickups

gonna replace the volume with a bourns push/pull 500k, probably swap out the pickup selector for a switchcraft, new jacks, possibly a second bourns push/pull for the neck volume, and coil taps, at least on the bridge...

Will probably get a better block for the floyd too, and a D-Tuna...

IMO, one great guitar for under $600. Can easily turn into an awesome guitar for less than $1000 total, plus time and patience upgrading and modding...

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Yes I own a Sterling AX40. The guitar works fine and feels good as well. We switched out the original pickups for Dimarzios. Overall it's a decent guitar for the price. One caution, the Sterling tremolo will not work with a dtuna for drop D. In order to effectively use a dtuna you will need to change the base plate or the whole tremolo.

Archived