Strat bridge (modern to vintage question)

darryl2112

• Members

I have a 93 US strat that recently I decided to replace the stock bridge (2 point,modern saddles, offset) with a 2 point vintage style bridge. Found one on ebay that was off some weird player's strat that seemed to fit fine. I wasn't even aware that fender even made a strat with a 2 point bridge with vintage saddles. Anyways, a friend of mine swears up and down that because it isn't offset that it has my strings off balanced. The guitar seems to look normal to my eyes but I am no luthier, (this friend is a guitar tech). Does anyone here have any knowledge about the strats that had this 2 point vintage style bridge on them and if these bridges would theoretically drop into to a US standard strat? Thanks for any input!

• Members

I have a 93 US strat that recently I decided to replace the stock bridge (2 point,modern saddles, offset) with a 2 point vintage style bridge. Found one on ebay that was off some weird player's strat that seemed to fit fine.
I wasn't even aware that fender even made a strat with a
2 point bridge with vintage saddles
Anyways, a friend of mine swears up and down that because it isn't offset that it has my strings off balanced. The guitar seems to look normal to my eyes but I am no luthier, (this friend is a guitar tech). Does anyone here have any knowledge about the strats that had this 2 point vintage style bridge on them and if these bridges would theoretically drop into to a US standard strat? Thanks for any input!

That's new to me as well, and can you describe "vintage saddles"? You mean the U shaped saddles?

• Members

The old Fender 2-post tremolo bridge was interchangeable with Wilkinson, Fishman, etc. (actually, IIRC, Fender started with the Wilkinson and switched to a proprietary 2-post design to save licensing fees)

The new Fender 2-post tremolo bridge is interchangeable with Wilkinson, Fishman, etc.

It should only be the saddle *screw* that is offset on the old bridge. The rout isn't offset (almost all non-locking bridges use the same rout) and (obviously) the saddles aren't offset.

Archived