Do you have a Boss FRV-1?

Operator

• Members

How is it? I've been using a Danelectro Spring King, but it's got a really big footprint (not so bad) and still passes some reverb into the signal when bypassed (slightly more bad), for whatever reason, so I was looking for a really good spring reverb sound. It will mostly be used for wet surfy sounds.

Maybe you can share your experiences with it. :)

• Members

I don't know if this helps, but I had the Deluxe reverb pedal.

I want to assume they use similar models for the reverb.

The DR pedal was useless past about 11 oclock on the reverb control. It tries to emulated the noise when you hit the amp... that splashy sound? And it doesn't do it well.

• Members

I have a Holy Grail, the FRV-1 and a Marshall Reflector.

For getting into surfy amounts of reverb, the Holy Grail does it the best. Definitely not as good and as wet as a large, 3 spring pan, but it's decent. Mine is one of the original, full size pedals, doesn't run on a battery and needs it's dedicated power supply.

The FRV is definitely better than the Reflector, but it's definitely a step down from the Holy Grail for big reverb tones. If you usually run the Reverb knob on a Fender amp at 2 - 4, I think you should consider the FRV. If you like to run it in a really drenched, surfy manner, I'd look at one of the boutique pedals or at least something with the Belton module.

I also has a Digitech Digiverb that was decent, but I traded it away. And I had a Digitech Hardwire, but I don't feel it was any better than the FRV... but it was definitely more versatile. But... I only use the spring setting.

My next reverb pedal will be the Neunaber Wet or the Wampler reverb.

Archived