Laney Cub 8

KightTemplar

• Members

Hi folks,

I may purchase the Laney Cub 8 to get valve tones in a small aprtment.

What kind of tone should I expect from it? Close to Fender? Vox? Marshall?

Good for both single-coil and 'buckers?

Also, how does it compared to Fender Champ600, Marshall Class 5, and Vox AC4TV, quality wise?

Thanks.

• Members

This depends on how your planning on running it.

If your looking to crank the volume for distortion, 5 watts is pretty loud for an apartment. If you use pedals for your OD then you should good with it.

Sorry I can't give a better description, but I've had a few low watt tube amps, and they are louder than you think.

• Members

Ok, for better description, my main source for overdrive/distortion is the ProCo RAT.

So I mainly use the clean channel. Been using Roland Cube all the time.

Yea so if I get a 5-watt valve amp I won't crank the it beyond 12:00 often. Will stay clean most of the time.

But just for curiosity, which amp I mentioned above has better overdriven tone, and which has more drive?

• Members

Hi folks,

I may purchase the Laney Cub 8 to get valve tones in a small aprtment.

What kind of tone should I expect from it? Close to Fender? Vox? Marshall?

Good for both single-coil and 'buckers?

Also, how does it compared to Fender Champ600, Marshall Class 5, and Vox AC4TV, quality wise?

Thanks.

Probably wet duck fart sounds.:facepalm:

Get a Bugera V5........:thu:

• Members

I haven't played the Laney. But I've played the rest on the list. I found the Marshall the best by far.

I think the weakness for any of them is the size of the cab. The Marshall has a relatively large cab, so it helps it alot. They all sound much better through larger cabs.

Out of my experience, for a great practice/ low volume jam amp, I would rate the ones I have experience with like this:

Marshall Class 5

Epi VJ Cab

Epi VJ Combo

Fender Champ

Vox 10 inch

Vox 8 inch

Bugera V5

I don't know what styles you play, but these worked best for me for my clean, blues, rock, heavy rock and metal wankery styles.

• Members

I haven't played the Laney. But I've played the rest on the list. I found the Marshall the best by far.

I think the weakness for any of them is the size of the cab. The Marshall has a relatively large cab, so it helps it alot. They all sound much better through larger cabs.

Out of my experience, for a great practice/ low volume jam amp, I would rate the ones I have experience with like this:

Marshall Class 5

Epi VJ Cab

Epi VJ Combo

Fender Champ

Vox 10 inch

Vox 8 inch

Bugera V5

I don't know what styles you play, but these worked best for me for my clean, blues, rock, heavy rock and metal wankery styles.

I play classic rock, some metal, and some more mellow instrumentals like Eric Johnson and Jeff Beck, and Neil Zaza.

Guess the cab size wont bother me since I wont go beyond 5 often. Reason for Laney 8 is the tone knob and the price, which is relatively cheap where I live.

Fender 600 sounds cool but lack of tone knob is an issue and since the speaker is 6" I guess it will rattle quite a bit.

Archived