Pick slides sound lousy on my PRS...

cvogue

• Members

I love my "new" PRS CE24 (got on Ebay), plays great, very versatile etc...

But, I've been playing a Les Paul for decades and when I do pick slides on my Les Paul (with distortion on the crunch channel of my Peavey Ultra 120 plus) they sound great but the same technique on my PRS sounds like just screechy metal.

Maybe it's the pickups? :idk: The PRS has the HFS/VB combo.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for any insight.

• Members

Hmmm, not sure what that might be about.

Kinda stumped, maybe just use more gain when you play the PRS. Try different picks with sharper edges? Adjust the pickup height?

Yeah I've adjusted the pickup height to lower them a bit (my LP's pickups are fairly low). My Kramerstein actually sounds good when doing pick slides too (cheap guitar but with a nice EVH customized pickup in the bridge). Yeah, maybe I'll look at different picks, using Fender heavies right now.

Theh PRS does have a very clean articulate tone, maybe I do need to jack up the gain a bit.

Do you have a PRS? Just wondering

• Members

It's definately the PRS at fault. I've got a sweet little Squier Strat that has amazing pick slide tone that I'd swap straight across for your PRS to solve your problem...
;)

What's your address, I'll ship it right over! :D

• Members

Not obsessing, just wondering if other PRS owners have found this to be true.

Besides, pick slides are cool, and I want them on my PRS!
:mad:

I dig pick slides too, used judiciously of course. 60's Jeff Beck, Boston's Tom Scholz and EVH used them to great effect. I suspect the pickups or your string height are the problems if your amp and pedal settings are identical when you play the PRS and the Les Paul. I have a '91 PRS Artist, the pick slides sound righteous.

• Members

I dig pick slides too, used judiciously of course. 60's Jeff Beck, Boston's Tom Scholz and EVH used them to great effect. I suspect the pickups or your string height are the problems if your amp and pedal settings are identical when you play the PRS and the Les Paul. I have a '91 PRS Artist, the pick slides sound righteous.

Agree, I can get great EVH style pick slides out of my LP.

What kind of pickups are in that Artist?

• Members

Agree, I can get great EVH style pick slides out of my LP.

What kind of pickups are in that Artist?

I'll get on the PRS site today and check what they were putting in the Artists. One reason I hang out here is a LOT of guys are so gear anal, it's amazing. I've ALWAYS been a plug in and play guy. Tryin' to catch up on gear history, it does matter. Anyway, I've always thought a well placed pick slide is a cool device in a guitarist's bag of tricks. Sadly, it's becoming a lost art. I'll get back to you on what pups are in my stock Artist.

Archived