Installing S-1 switch on a G&L Legacy... good idea??

shiznats

• Members

Let me start by saying thank you to whoever is willing to read this...

I've got a G&L Legacy HB (HSS setup) and though I love the sound of the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan TB-4), I am not a fan of the noisy single coils the guitar came with. I am looking to upgrade those to some dimarzios (probably a BC-1 in the neck and a Chopper in the middle) but was thinking it might be a good idea to give myself some more pickup combinations while I'm at it by installing a Fender S-1 switch (or something like it).

Currently my G&L has a switch which just splits the bridge humbucker. I know very little about wiring and would like to make sure that what I want to do is feasible, so any help here is greatly appreciated...

First off, is the S-1 system good, or are there other systems that are comparable/better? (I've heard of push/pull pots for example).

Secondly, my G&Ls tone controls are not like a Stratocaster's where each tone control is responsible for certain pickups. My G&L has a Passive Treble and Bass (PTB) system where both tone controls affect all the pickups on the guitar in the same way. I love the PTB, but would this create any problems with wiring?

And finally... I know this is a long shot... but is there a wiring diagram out there for this type of setup? (the Seymour Duncan website has a lot of wiring diagrams, but can't find one to match the setup I'm thinking of).

• Members

Well, I can give you my opinion.

I don't like the S1. I would never use it and didn't when I owned it. It's a waste of time.

If you have a bucker that splits it's enough, even then I am a purist and would only ever own a SSS strat myself so maybe I am the wrong guy to ask.

If I what to rock out, I play my Les Paul.

No guitar can do it all, but I want a PRS 513.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

• Members

So, currently you have the usual 5 positions plus splittable humbucker, yes?

Fitting the S-1 could give you a further couple of options-neck and bridge in series or parallel, and another combination in series or parallel.

I'm no wiring expert and am only basing this on the options available with my Baja Tele which has a four-position selector and S-1 type switch in the volume knob, giving me a total of 6 distinct and useable tones, including an uncanningly Peter Green-esque one. Very nice with a good dollop of reverb.

You should probably talk to a guitar tech who can explain this stuff a lot more clearly than I can! Then decide if you think the changes are worthwhile.

Archived