NGD: G&L Tribute Comanche, review and pics

seven58

• Members

I've really wanted one of these. the pickups are very curious -- what do they sound like? anyone know? what's the advantage of that zany design?

italia makes one with pickups that look kinda like that, and it has switching set up so you can mix the treble strings and bass strings from across different pickups. THAT is something I'd like to try.

• Members

I've really wanted one of these. the pickups are very curious -- what do they sound like? anyone know? what's the advantage of that zany design?

italia makes one with pickups that look kinda like that, and it has switching set up so you can mix the treble strings and bass strings from across different pickups. THAT is something I'd like to try.

The pickups are very much noiseless. While not as full as a regular humbucker, these are much fuller than a typical strat. For true strat connoisseurs they may be too full. But for those who like less noise and a meatier sound, you will be right at home. I can't promise when, but I will try to get a comparison recording up soon.

• Members

My first impressions... I notice and appreciate how an electric guitar sounds unplugged. I think you can tell a lot about its build and quality this way. Strats have a resonance about them that make them fun to play unplugged. The G&L didn't have the same resonance, even though it is a very similar guitar.

Hi

First Congrats to this perfect guitar-->REAL RINGER

One comment on the unplugged sound and sustain.My US made is a Mahagonay/Ebony Guitar and (finally) is a strong sustainer and a loud guitar unplugged(Better then my CS Strat,a little down on my loudest Solid Body a Jaguar)

But it was not in the beginning-->Yours is so new play it for 2 weeks-->Believe me it comes alive.And on top of this try to let the neck settle down in the pocket(Tune it sharp-open all 4 neck screws 1/2 to 3/4 turns-->upon opening the last one it usually makes-chunk-then tighten again and retune-you will hear a noticeable unplugged difference

glcomanche6.jpg

All the best

Roland

• Members

Hi

First Congrats to this perfect guitar-->REAL RINGER

One comment on the unplugged sound and sustain.My US made is a Mahagonay/Ebony Guitar and (finally) is a strong sustainer and a loud guitar unplugged(Better then my CS Strat,a little down on my loudest Solid Body a Jaguar)

But it was not in the beginning-->Yours is so new play it for 2 weeks-->Believe me it comes alive.And on top of this try to let the neck settle down in the pocket(Tune it sharp-open all 4 neck screws 1/2 to 3/4 turns-->upon opening the last one it usually makes-chunk-then tighten again and retune-you will hear a noticeable unplugged difference

glcomanche6.jpg

All the best

Roland

I've heard of doing that to the neck. Thanks for the info and recommendation.

• Members

The pickups are very much noiseless. While not as full as a regular humbucker, these are much fuller than a typical strat. For true strat connoisseurs they may be too full. But for those who like less noise and a meatier sound, you will be right at home. I can't promise when, but I will try to get a comparison recording up soon.

Above YES !!!

They sound like a real hot single coil but react much more linear on any tone/Volume setting.And there are a myrad of possibilities.Down side is that they are very balanced-means if you play the neck and the mid PU seperately(what you can do) they sound very similar-Therefore I moved a Willy Ray to the bridge-->stronger then a humbucker

Roland

• Members

Thanks GH, This may be the strat style guitar you have been looking for.

It may be... I do like the Carvin, and I think it'll be a player after a good setup. But my favorite strat-style guitars have always been G&L. The two I've owned in the past have been great.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I own a Comanche Tribute coupled with a Fender Frontman 25R, and a Digitech RP255 effects box. I bought em all at the same time. After a couple of weeks playing with the knobs on the guitar and amp, I put the Digitech Dremel tool away for a while. I have gotten into blues music, and the guitar and amp combo are good for that.

I played my Comanche once at the music store, and brought it home with me. The amp was more or less a medium through which I would elicit sound, and living in Mexico, I wanted something that was light, cheap, and semi bulletproof. I figured the guitar would carry the weight for tone. They sound nice together to me, but I am 60, with artillery fire echoing through my brain from the seventies (along with some improvidently over driven stereo amps (say what??????!!!!).

As for fit, finish, and the other stuff, technically I don't know, or care. The guitar sounds good, looks good, and plays easily. Turning the knobs and getting to KNOW your rig before you decide to jam with buddies, can go a long way in shortening your search for tone. But so does old age, and enough wasted on tone searches.

Archived