Before the Music Dies

• Members

No it isn't. If you're doing anything as a career, getting paid is not an unreasonable expectation. I was just commenting on the idea of musicians who believe getting paid is the only reason for making music. I was saying that I would hope musicians won't stop doing what they enjoy, just because it isn't necessarily a lucrative career opportunity.

It's a strange hybrid of a profession, because it isn't like being an accountant. I doubt a guy who get's paid to crunch numbers, would mind giving up his gig if he couldn't be paid for it anymore (unless he really, really enjoys crunching numbers; in which case I suppose he could do it for fun.)

But when dealing with a business that's artist-oriented--artists have a need that isn't necessarily money driven, and that is to create and share what they've created. So yes, maybe, strictly from a business standpoint, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to stop making music altogether, and maybe that'll show music consumers what value music has, and what theives they are, so they'll realize what they've been missing and start paying for it again. But from an artistic standpoint, that would be pretty brutal on our pysches, because there's always that urge to want people to hear what we do. There's always that inner conflict.

There's a guy I know who's a great musician and performer, and I asked him for a CD after a performance. I was prepared to pay for it, but he just gave it to me. I said, "thanks a lot man", and he said, "Hey, thanks for wanting it." He was a friend of my band leader, so it wasn't like I was some random guy, but it was the first time he'd ever really met me. He could've made a sale right there.

I think that's probably the reason why so many artists are quick to make their stuff away; they know they won't make any money, but there's the gratification of more people getting to hear their music, and of course, they don't want to alienate anybody. Maybe that's hurting us all in the long run, I don't know, but I understand how hard it can be to resist doing it.

Your points are well made, and taken to heart.

I know I'll never stop playing. How long I remain in the marketplace is another thing entirely. But your post is thoughtful and appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"I think that's probably the reason why so many artists are quick to make their stuff away; they know they won't make any money, but there's the gratification of more people getting to hear their music, and of course, they don't want to alienate anybody. Maybe that's hurting us all in the long run, I don't know, but I understand how hard it can be to resist doing it."

I feel that as artists and musicians we have a responsibility to broadcast a larger and significant message to our societies. If you're a truly talented musician or songwriter, to me it's almost your responsibility to be a musical mouthpiece for society.

• Members

That was going to be my take as well. It's easy to point to someone who 'made it' out of nowhere. My questions are:

Where do they live? LA isn't the same as Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Who does she know? You don't just get a song placed in a TV show or movie out of the blue.

Is she working with an agent? A publisher? A producer?

According to the article, Michaelson lives with her parents in Staten Island, N.Y. Her manager is the former GM of a record label who found her on Myspace through an employee, her lawyer is from a firm that "works with some of the biggest names in the industry". Her booking agency handles clients such as Coldplay and Avril Lagine. She's also a client of an artist development company with a distribution deal, her music is promoted to radio by a company that has worked with Bob Dylan and KT Tunstall.

So yeah--basically your notions are correct. Technically, she is an unsigned artist, but her assembled "team" of music industry people are basically providing the role a traditional label would. So she's definitely not an outsider to the system, although with no traditional label or publisher involved, she does get a bigger cut of the royalties.

Good article.

Archived