1979 Gibson Les Paul, before pulling the trigger...

leyoculta

• Members

Found a difference. In a picture I got, the back of the headstock does have the serial number carved (maybe a bit worn) but there's no visible "Made in U.S.A." as in the one posted above from elderly:

31U-482_headstock-back.jpg

Something to worry about? Could be nothing. Maybe it just faded or it was a bad pic. Or, could be they just weren't so standardized when building them back then.

Other than that, the headstock from the back looks the same to my eyes.

At the moment I'm convinced enough to try it out. In the end it'll come down to that. Just checking if there was something obvious to others that wasn't clear to me. So far, so good... actually really good.

====

PS: sorry for not posting the headstock pic, it's not my guitar (at least not yet) and that photo was not online.

One of my gibson guitars has a very clear, very deep stamp for the serial number and made in USA labels like the one in the Elderly add. The other one, which has a black painted back, has a serial number that is barely visible and not deep at all. The made in USA is similarly very shallow, and appears to be stamped harder/deeper on one side than the other. My point, the appearance of the stamping varies.

Everything else about that guitar looks legit to me.

Archived