New guitar - Need help with pickup switching options

PatrickDavid

• Members

Hey guys,

Well I'm very excited I'm getting a new guitar in the not so distant future.

It's a twin humbucker les paul type. The main idea for the guitar is to have as many tonal options as possible.

Mahogany body

Maple neck

Ebony board

25" inch scale

2 volume, 1 Tone

Now I'm really set on putting in some mini toggle switches and having a large amount of tonal options with the pickups.

Pickup wise I'm thinking about two Adeson Lucifers. http://www.adeson.co.uk/

Other than splitting the coils I really don't have a lot of experience with different pickup switching options.

I'm thinking about any of the following options:

-Split coils

-Series

-Parallel

-Phase reversal

-And a bypass push pull pot that bypasses the volume and tone controls.

My knowledge on the tone of any of the above is limited,

If you have favorite songs or past experiences that use these options could you please tell me :)

Thankyou,

Pat

• Members

Just get some Seymor Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings and call it a day

I've decided to go with mini toggle switches, just because I don't like pickup rings, and the humbuckers are direct mounted,

Could any one describe the difference in the above tonal options, sound wise?

• Members

I'm thinking about any of the following options:

-Split coils

-Series

-Parallel

-Phase reversal

-And a bypass push pull pot that bypasses the volume and tone controls.

split (single) and parallel coil wirings sound similar, with split being (subtly) more "growly". but with hum...

series is the "humbucker" sound and is the default wiring scheme for a single p'up. never tried it with two! will probably sound very dark, not much high end (i'm being silly)...

i had a phase reverse on the franken jr. for years, never used it as it sounded way too thin w/no bass at all (i was trying for andy summers, but that wasn't the way to go...). on the other hand (same guitar), parallel coils worked much better for me...

the bypass will sound "hot" w/trebs to spare. depending on pickup architecture, ymmv.

maybe all of these will give you variety...

p.s. pretty much a fan of rail 'buckers since getting the seymour and the bill (and becky) lawrences...

• Members

split (single) and parallel coil wirings sound similar, with split being (subtly) more "growly". but with hum...

series is the "humbucker" sound and is the default wiring scheme for a single p'up. never tried it with two! will probably sound very dark, not much high end (i'm being silly)...

i had a phase reverse on the franken jr. for years, never used it as it sounded
way
too thin w/no bass at all (i was trying for andy summers, but that wasn't the way to go...). on the other hand (same guitar), parallel coils worked much better for me...

the bypass will sound "hot" w/trebs to spare. depending on pickup architecture, ymmv.

maybe all of these
will
give you variety...

p.s. pretty much a fan of rail 'buckers since getting the seymour and the bill (and becky) lawrences...

Thankyou for taking the time to write that mate,

That's the type of info I'm after, people's past experiences. And the tone of these switching options.

At the moment I'm thinking two 3 way mini switches and a push pull switch on the tone control.

Each humbucker would have a 3 way switch,

1. Series

2. Parallel

3. Coil tap

Then the push pull pot would bypass the tone knob completely.

I'm really looking forward to hearing both coil taps running together, thanks again.

Pat

• Members

I may be wrong, but a lot of those sorts of options (other than coil-splits) always seemed to me to make about as much sense as a spoiler on a mini-van...

Tone is extremely subjective and have to agree with you partially. On some guitars the difference is minor and it's not always pleasing to my ears. But on others...like brian may's for example some stunning results can be had by wiring things differently.

I'm not after brian may's tone, just some difference sounds from my humbuckers,

Pat

• Members

Running the pickups out of phase gives a "cocked wah" sound. Running phased and serial rather than parallel makes them brighter. You can get the same effect with a wah or an EQ with a strong peak in the mids. I used to put in a phase switch until I A/B'd it with a wah and an EQ.

Archived