What did I play today? Was it a good deal? (USA Fender Tele Content)

metal0822

• Members

I just got back from a new-to-me guitar shop since I just moved to a new area, and played a really nice american tele. I think it was a deluxe series, but im not up on my teles at all. Basically it was a see through white with a tortoise binding, rosewood board, abalone dots, noiseless pickups, 6 saddle bridge. I think it was a 99, since the serial was dn9.... i figured i would just jump online and look up deluxe tele and see hundreds of them, but i guess not. is this a rarish color? mary kay white i think? anyways it was minty, played and sounded great, especailly considering i usually do not get along with the noiseless pickups. the price was 899, but i could probably get in some wiggle room. thanks.

• Members

im pretty sure if it was a 2009 it would be serial number z9. i did a little research on it and apparently they added the d in front of the serial in 98 and 99 for deluxe series, and the n is for 90s. so i guess its an american deluxe tele. the kid working there seemed pretty knowledgeable on fenders and he said it was a pretty rare one...but he was also a salesman. the workers there didnt really act like they were working for commission though, so he may have been honest, just dont know if he knows what hes talking about. it was hot and played great, i can tell you that, just dont wanna get ripped.

• Members

Ya with the n it looks like a 90s.

2000s don't have a 2 though but they do have a Z. My 2000 sstat is Z0xxxx

With the year 2000 came the introduction of the "Z" prefix serial numbers on US made instruments, which stood for the 0 of the new millennium. A Z0 prefix dates to 2000, a Z1 prefix dates to 2001 etcetera. The American Deluxe Series instruments use the same dating convention but with the addition of a "D" in front of the "Z", i.e. DZ1, DZ2 etcetera. Once again, and as always, there is typically some overlap and carryover of number prefixes from year to year.

• Members

I got one new a few years ago for $950 (pretty close to cost) but that was only because Sweetwater owed me a favor. (They had me standing in line waiting for a guitar on order that never showed which caused me to miss getting the guitar from other vendors before they also sold out)

But they are a nice guitar. You should think about whether you want an ash or alder body. Mine has S switching so I can get series or parallel connections between the two p'ups.

They have body contours which are nice.

Wish I could help more as to the value.

• Members

It's a standard Fender American Deluxe Telecaster. They came with tort guards to match the tort binding, so if it has a black guard that's a modification. Otherwise it sounds all stock. Somewhat rare color since most of them are the burst. $899 is a pretty good price if it's basically mint, as you say. Used prices tend to be around $1k. The new ones are now up to $1699, I think.

Look up "Fender American Deluxe Telecaster white" in Google's image search and you'll see a few:

http://www.google.com/images?q=fender+american+deluxe+telecaster+white&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Fig&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbs=isch:1&ei=T_86TeGEF8KB8gbwgNmtCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CDAQ_AUoAQ&biw=1261&bih=657

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's the ash bodied version if the finish is semi-transparent. I remember playing one of those a few years ago. It was exactly as you described, but with a tort guard.

• Members

thanks for the tips guys. im not dying for it, but man was it nice. if its still there in a couple weeks and something else hasnt snagged my attention ill probably give it another go and try to work out a deal for it. i really would like to get my hands on a jazzy though, and ive never spent 900 on a guitar, and never really had a spot for teles, so its a strange situation for me, finally graduated last month and got a great job so i can actually start looking at nice guitars.

Archived