Help with Arbriter Les Paul copy.

Incline

• Members

Hello. I recently picked up an 'Arbriter' Les Paul copy at a car boot sale. Real cheap. It's in okay shape but there's bits and pieces where i'm not sure whats going on. There appears to be some sort 'bigsby' ? arm attached. I don't know anything about these guitars some i'm not sure whats original and what's not. The second pick up is very loose and theres a bunch of cardboard stuck underneath it to keep it in place.

The strings attached, which there is only two. Seem to be doing nothing at all. They are way too close to the pick ups & fret board.

Anyway i would really like to get this guitar going, so iv'e taken a bunch of photos and hopefully someone can help me out with what's wrong and what needs replacing etc. Thank You!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330769[/ATTACH]

• Members

Wow, the back pickup doesn't appear to be attached to the ring at all.

Here is my take. I'd take off the two strings that are there now and clip the wires going to that wonky looking rear pickup...and toss it in the bin. Then I would put some new strings on there are see if having a full set of strings on there fixes some of the action issues. I'd give it a good set up (instructions can be found online for this, and for bigsby type trems too). Then, after it was set up, I'd buy a new bridge pickup and rewire that into place and go. I guess if you want to save on effort and a set of strings, you could replace the pickup before you set it up, but either way, that back pickup has to go.

• Members

That pick up is wired up but is just very out of place by the looks of things. The guy i got it off also sold me a bag full of old humbuckers similar to the one attached, as well as all sorts of other bits and pieces. No bridges though. What bridge would you suggest? The bridge on it at the moment its very wobbly and all over the place.

• Members

Hmmm. I guess I would take off the bigsby and get a tune o matic type bridge for it. Is it a real bigsby or generic. If it is real, you could figure out the model and maybe find replacement parts and instructions to fix it.

FYI, The bridge saddle bar thing on this type of guitar sits on two pins, but can move around if strings are not on it pushing it down. It is secured by the pins on the horizontal axis only, and the vertical axis securing comes from string tension. Maybe two old strings are not enough tension to hold it properly. Or the break angle is way off and it isn't getting enough tension to not rattle.

• Members

I don't know enough about bigsby trems to say for sure. I guess I would try to string her up and find some bigsby set up instructions online and see if you can get it playable as is with the new strings. Adding tension of a full set of new strings tuned to pitch might add the tension the bridge needs to be secure and shift the trem into whack.

• Members

Well, i strung it as it is at the moment, however the strings feel so close to the fret board. When strummed it just gives a little sharp buzz. Unplayable more or less.

I'm guessing i need to find someone on here who has had lots of experience with Bigsbys.

• Members

I wish I knew more about bigsby trems, sorry.

One quick thing to try is to loosen the strings a bit and turn the thumb screws under the saddle to raise that part of the bridge. This should crank up the height of the strings off the fretboard. The thumb screws are in your hand on top in the pic numbered 530. On my LP they are threaded and can raise and lower the bridge height. I figure they do the same on your copy. Try turning them to raise the saddle.

• Members

first go here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=arbiter+les+paul+copy+70s&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

If it is an ARBITER guitar, then its a badged Japanese import by Ivor Arbiter. The quality of his imports was always pretty good. I have an acoustic from the 60s.

for yours:

go to google for info on Bigsby set up - yours should be ok as it is.

The adjustment of string height will come from the bridge height and possible neck relief adjustment. (google basic guitar setups and read up).

Should be around 4/64" at low E and 3/64" at high e typically with no buzz.

The neck adjustment can affect this issue but maybe you need to read up a bit on that first.

A full set of strings will solve the bridge rattles and the break angle.

For pickups, check in the bag and see if there is one that matches the covered pick up at the neck. Also check the backs of all the pickups - you may find something interesting or valuable.

I would advise you to check for info on the web especially you tube where you can learn about basic guitar set ups and so on. Then you can start to get this in shape. Keep posting as you go.

Archived