Is the obssesive desire to build guitars from parts a disorder.....

starfire_Xes

• Members

Make it harder on yourself-- start building from scratch, no necks or bodies bought, just hardwood. It'll slow you down like crazy and it's also more fun in the end.

That's my goal....but before I can build guitars I have to build myself a workshop in the back yard ;-). No prefab workshop either, put something very modern with enough natural light as to not even require lighting during the day.

• Members

That's my goal....but before I can build guitars I have to build myself a workshop in the back yard ;-). No prefab workshop either, put something very modern with enough natural light as to not even require lighting during the day.

My goal too. So far I have a table saw, a router table, a compound mitre saw and a jointer.

I also have an old Shop Smith that is a bit busted but still functions as a lathe and a drill press (it was too cheap to pass up!) I also do other wood woorking projects. I seem to get high sniffing the aroma coming off the wood when it's cut. Specially cedar and pine.

• Members

It gets to the point of obsession when you consider buying a mill and a lathe to make all the metal parts... Welcome to my own personal tool-filled hell.

my father is a machinist, seeing him work a Bridgeport mill and all that gear really makes a person jealous..

i remember user ihavenofish was milling tune-o-matics and stoptails out of brass, aluminum, ebony, and other stuff with a mill.. no idea where that thread is.. or him for that matter.

Archived