Unexpected NGD: Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400

acefreely

• Members

Guitar Center opened a store in Louisville, Ky. where I live. The grand opening was last night. I drove by as I needed an amp stand and maybe some strings. Wow, unbelievable...there was no getting in that place last night. The store opened at 7pm and at 8:30 when I drove by there the line to get in was still 1/2 a mile long, think Best Buy 4am on black Friday...insane.

Fast forward to lunch time today...figured I'd stop by and take a look and hopefully get in. As soon as I walk into the guitar section I see a stack of Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400s with a sign, "Grand Opening Sale $249.99." This guitar had been on my radar after seeing a thread on here recently with a beautiful silverburst model. I actually found and played around with a used, black model at another local shop and really liked it (they wanted $300 for a used one BTW). But I figured I got enough guitars, money's tight and I didn't like the color anyway.

But when I saw that sign $250 I thought, "if they have silverburst I am taking one home." And they did, two left in unopened boxes...one of which is now hanging in my basement!

I got the guitar home, inspected it - flawless. The neck is really nice, thin, fast like I like it. The setup out of the box wasn't bad, intonation was almost perfect, action a little high, but serviceable. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. I got to spend an hour playing it, couldn't resist some AC/DC tunes. I am surprised at how good the Alnico Classic humbuckers sound, I am definitely going to keep them.

I haven't taken any pics of mine yet, but here are some pics from MF:

565038.jpg

565035.jpg

565036.jpg

This is a nice guitar...I can't believe I got it for $250. Hopefully the wife doesn't kill me :)

• Members

Yep, you're in trouble, but for $250 new, how could you resist? It's not your fault..... HNSGD!

Thanks! Yup, I couldn't resist...I am already thinking of some gear that I never use that I can sell to offset the cost, nice Agile AL-2000 anyone? LOL

• Members

She will, but
woo hoo!
anyway.

I know it too...I had been put on spending lock down so we can pay off our debts. She's not going to be happy. I do have some gear I can sell to offset the cost though, so that's the angle I'm going to take with her. And it's only $250 so it's not a big deal really...

She doesn't understand why I need more than 1 acoustic and 1 electric guitar...she's going to lay a huge guilt trip on me for this one!

• Members

Wow, nice; I love the big pickguard!
:love:

HNGD!!

Thanks me too...

The neck is the best thing about this guitar for me. It's thin and flat, kind of like some of the Ibanez, Schecter, ESP necks. If I have one complaint its that the frets could be bigger. I am a lazy player and I like the jumbo or even extra jumbo frets. I can't find the specs, but these feel like medium size frets. NBD though I just have to play a little cleaner, which is probably a good thing.

Archived