Ignorant/Agnostic regarding many guitar attributes

Brainfertilizer

• Moderators

I was suggesting that most people that do a lot of bending are pretty aware of the gauge/scale length, because the bend depends on those factors

Plenty of people who are like the OP don't notice to any real extent scale lengths, string gauges etc, they just compensate, like getting from a auto to a stick shift or any other analogues you wanna think of

• Members

I was suggesting that most people that do a lot of bending are pretty aware of the gauge/scale length, because the bend depends on those factors

Yes for sure. In fact EVERYONE who truly does a lot of bending can tell the difference immediately.

• Members

Plenty of people who are like the OP don't notice to any real extent scale lengths, string gauges etc, they just compensate, like getting from a auto to a stick shift or any other analogues you wanna think of

He said he couldn't tell the difference. He did not say he just compensated.

Huge difference.

• Members

He said he couldn't tell the difference. He did not say he just compensated.

Huge difference.

Maybe I could tell if I A/Bd a few guitars and paid attention.

I bend my notes by ear, not by feel.

Maybe one other thing that affects my agnostia is that over the last 5 years, I've owned (bought and sold) more than 100 guitars. Some were bought specifically to flip and make a few bucks (I average about $30 profit per guitar...can't seem to improve on that), but I still played 'em for a few weeks. I still have 21 guitars right now, and I'm switching around on all of them to decide which to keep.

I can tell some difference between the way they play/feel. But it is "right/not right" or "good/better/best". Is a slinkier guitar because of thinner strings or shorter scale? Is a harder to bend guitar due to thicker strings, longer scale length, or old strings?

Also, I tend to bend the d g and b strings more than the high e.

And again, this is after starting out on a 12-string and moving to a bass. If you are used to lifting 100-lb weights, are you really going to be able to tell the difference between 4lbs and 5lbs? I don't think so.

So I guess by the time I had enough experience I *should* know about scale length, wire gauge, etc, I was already switching between 5-6 guitars in an hour, and then a different set of 5-6 guitars in an hour the next day. I've gotten to the point where I just play without worrying about--or really even consciously knowing-- how the guitar feels.

• Members

Maybe I could tell if I A/Bd a few guitars and paid attention.

I bend my notes by ear, not by feel.

Maybe one other thing that affects my agnostia is that over the last 5 years, I've owned (bought and sold) more than 100 guitars. Some were bought specifically to flip and make a few bucks (I average about $30 profit per guitar...can't seem to improve on that), but I still played 'em for a few weeks. I still have 21 guitars right now, and I'm switching around on all of them to decide which to keep.

I can tell some difference between the way they play/feel. But it is "right/not right" or "good/better/best". Is a slinkier guitar because of thinner strings or shorter scale? Is a harder to bend guitar due to thicker strings, longer scale length, or old strings?

Also, I tend to bend the d g and b strings more than the high e.

And again, this is after starting out on a 12-string and moving to a bass. If you are used to lifting 100-lb weights, are you really going to be able to tell the difference between 4lbs and 5lbs? I don't think so.

So I guess by the time I had enough experience I *should* know about scale length, wire gauge, etc, I was already switching between 5-6 guitars in an hour, and then a different set of 5-6 guitars in an hour the next day. I've gotten to the point where I just play without worrying about--or really even consciously knowing-- how the guitar feels.

Haha. I hope what I say doesn't come off as mean spirited, I'm just drunk after a good happy hour session with some buds.

I'd think playing as many guitars as you have would help solidify the differences between the gauges/scale lengths. also, i never go by feel when bending, either. I go by ear, but i take note of how much force is needed to get the sound that i'm looking for. When i play my little bros LP with 10s, its immediately apparent that it feels like i'm playing with 9s on my strat, but its just the scale lengths.

the difference in bending will be felt across all strings, not just the high e.

What it sounds like, honestly, is that despite the number of guitars that you've owned/played, you haven't spent that much meaningful time with any single guitar at all. you really should try it. We can all pick up any guitar and play, but seriously getting to know one single guitar is amazing. Forgive the language, but there's nothing like making your instrument your complete bitch. It's totally worth it.

• Members

What it sounds like, honestly, is that despite the number of guitars that you've owned/played, you haven't spent that much meaningful time with any single guitar at all. you really should try it. .

This is unfortunately true.

But I seem to have settled down.

The problem is, I settled down with 7 new guitars! (2 Hamer USAs, a Hamer import, and 4 Jon Kammerers)

Archived