Satellite 70's Les Paul copy

theymademedoit

• Members

Hi all,

I aquired a Satellite 70's Les Paul copy a little while back and wondered if it was worth spending time and a little money to get it playable?

Its in great nick looks wise but one of the pick ups is not working, but I have been ytold that the pots need soldering so no biggie.

My question is will it be worth doing of is this just fire wood?

At present its got some humbucker on it but I have the original pick ups too.

The neck looks ok (will need a set up) and the thing seems to stay in tune.

Any advise would be good!

Al

• Members

worth it too you or worth it for re sale?

If you're thinking to make money out of it I doubt you'll do very well unless it was pretty much free in the first place. Couple hundred max is what those old bolt on LP's are worth if they are decent.

But if YOU like it and it plays well then that's all that matters.

• Members

Considering there's a bunch of set neck LP copies with a nice flame top on ebay for $139, kinda blows out the market for 70s "clunkers". Then again, I don't know anyone who has one, but the quality level has risen dramatically since the 70s. I did have a Hondo LP that was a decent guitar, solid neck/body fit, post 'Hondo II' era. -Adam

• Members

Considering there's a bunch of set neck LP copies with a nice flame top on ebay for $139, kinda blows out the market for 70s "clunkers". Then again, I don't know anyone who has one, but the quality level has risen dramatically since the 70s. I did have a Hondo LP that was a decent guitar, solid neck/body fit, post 'Hondo II' era. -Adam

Cheers mate...what I may do is ask at my local shop if he will trade for a nice fuzz pedal to go with my 50s classic vibe tele thats on its way!

• Members

Those old Japanese copies are pretty cool IMO. My first electric was a no-name Japanese bolt neck Les Paul gold top. I like your finish although it's likely veneer and not a carved top. It's a great looker. On mine, the pickups looked like humbuckers, but they were actually single coils in an HB case. I'd change the pups to something inexpensive like Mighty Mites or GFSs, and definitely change the nut, as those are usually hollow. Other than that, rock it!

• Members

Those old Japanese copies are pretty cool IMO. My first electric was a no-name Japanese bolt neck Les Paul gold top. I like your finish although it's likely veneer and not a carved top. It's a great looker. On mine, the pickups looked like humbuckers, but they were actually single coils in an HB case. I'd change the pups to something inexpensive like Mighty Mites or GFSs, and definitely change the nut, as those are usually hollow. Other than that, rock it!

Yeah, could be fun to mess around with, just not worth investing any major $/time in. I had one like yours with the fake HB's, think I paid $40 for it. And a Vantage that looked cool, but the Hondo was the best of them. I went through a lot of cheap guitars back then, changing things around, repainting, and generally messing with them until they more or less fell apart! :facepalm: -Adam

• 9 years later...
  • Members
On 2/6/2011 at 9:42 AM, theymademedoit said:

Hi all,

I aquired a Satellite 70's Les Paul copy a little while back and wondered if it was worth spending time and a little money to get it playable?

Its in great nick looks wise but one of the pick ups is not working, but I have been ytold that the pots need soldering so no biggie.

My question is will it be worth doing of is this just fire wood?

At present its got some humbucker on it but I have the original pick ups too.

The neck looks ok (will need a set up) and the thing seems to stay in tune.

Any advise would be good!

Al

If you like it & it Plays well dot it. I just bought a "distressed", Black 'n' Silver Model & it's brill...

Archived