My long road to "the tone" for me has become jaded, Any suggestions?

Sailorofdarknes

• Members

I am all itchy with Gas now! I had a Crate once, it was one of the blonde with gold hardware (Vintage 30 I think?) all tube jobs with a 12" speaker can't exactly remember what model it was but it was the early 2000's. Only thing it did well was get hot. Also found that the Jet city I tried was pretty dang good I liked it a lot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am all itchy with Gas now! I had a Crate once, it was one of the blonde with gold hardware (Vintage 30 I think?) all tube jobs with a 12" speaker can't exactly remember what model it was but it was the early 2000's. Only thing it did well was get hot. Also found that the Jet city I tried was pretty dang good I liked it a lot.

Yeah the Vintage club (VC) series were the precursor to the V series like mine. They generally get a lot of love as well. The difference from what I've heard is the VC were a less "gain" amps. More clean I guess. Which is fine with me because I love the distortion on mine. The V series clean headroom (on the V1512) is limited but sounds great in my opinion.

• Members

If you're looking at small amps, here's my suggestion. Nothing wrong with small amps from a wattage perspective. But often times the compact cabs and small, cheap speakers that come with these amps really hold back the tone. A big speaker and full size cab provide a body and depth that the little boxes and 6", 8" speakers just cannot do. So consider going with a head/cab setup and getting yourself a decent cab.

+1

another small head suggestion: Traynor Darkhorse

• Members

Ive a pair of GFS brooklyn pups that replace HB exact drop in switch, the chords go thru distortion,all the highs are alive and comeout,spank a chord on HB pups and the distortion kills the higher notes !
I like the Jekyll and hyde with P90s,tremendous rendering of every saturated note!
They make u wanna play your butt off !

• Members

If $500 is your limit, think about the new Vox VT80+. It is one of the newest Valvetronix amps.
Lots of different tones, power level attenuator, 50 watts, 1x12 with extension speaker jack for more cabs, all effects built in.

I cannot think of a more versatile amp in that price range. Those 5 watt amps are like toys. Nice to fool around with, or possibly record from, but useless on a job with a drummer or bassist, and no headroom to speak of.

Don't limit yourself to a tube amp in that price range. If you do, you are limting the possible tones you can achieve with it.

While I have epxensive tube amps, I own a couple of the Valvetronix amps as they cover a lot of sonic territory with good effects, and flexibility in a managable package. No tube amp in that price range will do that.
lg_vtplus_top.jpg

Main Features

Tube-driven VOX Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12 AX7 vacuum tube for true-tube tone
99 Expertly voiced presets
33 Song Presets: spot-on recreations of the sounds used on classic tracks
33 Basic Amp Model Presets: Valvetronix amp modeling at its robust finest
33 Effected Amp Model Presets created with variety of effects including chorus, flanger and tremolo.
25 In-demand, top-quality effects
11 Pedal-type effects
11 Modulation (chorus, flanger, etc.)/Delay effects with Tap Tempo control
3 Reverb styles
8 User Programs for saving your favorite custom settings
Accurate amp models encompass the entire VOX lineage from the traditional AC30 to the modern Night Train, plus an impressive list of other hard-to-come-by classics and rare hi-gain boutique models.
Amp offers Gain, Volume, and Master Volume; EQ features Treble, Middle, and Bass
Unique Power Level control can limit the power amp output wattage, creating distinctive power amp distortion at any listening level.
Built-in automatic guitar tuner
Newly re-voiced VOX original speaker ensures ample power.
Headphone output simulates the acoustic and spatial character of a full speaker cabinet
Timeless VOX styling
Use the optional VOX VFS5 footswitch to change programs to turn effects on and off, or to set the Tap Tempo function.

Archived