Strat Trem Tension...Different Springs?

jbear555

• Members

I just picked up a custom built Beau Phillips Strat (second hand) and I am loving it, but the trem is extremely tight and unresponsive. You could snap the arm off if you push hard enough. I have three other Strats, and all of them are very responsive.

I tried adjusting the claw with no real change in tension. Is this a spring issue? Do I need different springs (these are gold)? Do I need to take a spring off? All of my other Strats have three (like this one does). The bridge is a vintage, six screw and the block takes an Am Std arm. Don't know the brand, but it is high-quality w/ stamped steel saddles (they have no markings...could be Gotoh).

Coincidentally all three of my others are out being worked on so I can't check them out. I can wait until I get it to my tech when I pick the others up, but if it is an easy fix...I'll take care of it.

What do you think?

Thanks all!

• Members

I guess I'd try new springs and see what happens. My PRS SE Custom 24 has 5 springs, and it's perfectly smooth. All of my Strats have 5 springs, but all but one have the bridge bolted all the way down. The one that has an operable vibrato works pretty well. Could just be the springs.

• Members

Yes. Springs do have different tension. 3 fender springs don't necessarily have the same tension as 3 gotoh springs. Also, old springs get broken in and aren't as stiff as new ones. I just replaced the trem in one of my beaters. I had an old 70s fender trem in with some springs from the junk drawer and it had really light resistance. I put a vintage style trem from guitar fetish on and the same number of springs was way too stiff and the bridge was against the top of the guitar. I had to loosen the claw alot.

I have also found that 2 springs cranked way tight has a lighter action than 3 springs loosened up, even when the base plate is the same distance from the top of the guitar.

Springs are funny that way.

Archived