Quite clever Craig... (white noise mixing)

144dB

• Members

Hi Craig,

I saw your white noise tip in another thread (i.e. mixing with a low white noise source to detect parts that will disappear in a car, etc.). I think I've seen it before in one of your books, but I had forgotten about it.

Today I took a 60 second recording of white noise from my Pro-53 and pasted it contiguously thoughout a mix I'm working on. And sure enough, I was able to determine that some parts needed a little boost to get above the noise level. Normally I would only discover this in the car, which takes time, re-work, etc.

It's a brilliant idea. I just keep it about 20 dB below my peak level, and it really helps determine which parts are clear and cutting through, versus what is getting lost in the mix. And of course, I've been doing most of my mixing in mono now. :thu:

Thanks again,

Todd

• Members

Glad you like it. See, it pays to read my articles!

Everyone thinks it's idiotic when I describe it...but those who actually try it have reactions like yours. I specifically didn't mention a level, but I too find that -20dB seems about right.

Just remember when you start nailing your mix in mono, it's time for stereo...I certainly didn't mean to imply that a mix should be mono, just that it should start off that way so you can square away EQ and such.

• Members

I'm just wrapping up a mix that I did this weekend, and it's the best one I've ever done.

Why?

I still have some polishing to do, but so far it's my best yet. It won't fool anyone into thinking it's a pro mix, but I'm definitely getting better.

Thanks again --

Todd

Archived