Critique my tone and and mic placement

jr_vw2

• Members

Keep in mind, Saturday is probably the slowest night around here.

This is definitely more aggressive than I usually listen to these days, but I used to be all up into this kinda stuff.

The playing is spot on... I hate that phrase, but it is.

For the actual tone, it's not bad, but I think my ears would prefer just a little bit less top end. Basically just a little bit chuggier and meatier without getting muddy.

Are you the only guitarist? My concern is that when it got time for the weedley stuff, the high end from this track would get sort of mixed in with it, if that makes any sense.

Of course, it's hard to judge these things 100% when it's just one track. How about this, if I were in a room playing this, I'd want a bit more oomph and I'd probably roll off a bit of the top end.

Still sounds great, man! :thu:

• Members

Yeah I can seen what you mean.....I have am constantly turning knobs and changing/adjusting pickups. I never seem to be 100% satisfied with my tone....but it seems to get closer and closer everyday. It does need some more "meat" to it. I'll role some highs back maybe add a little more mids.

• Members

I agree with cratz2. Mo mids fo sho. When you put that track in contrast with a band, the high frequencies will get lost amongst the cymbals while the lows battle with the bass for space, while you should be occupying that middle section, kind of making a bed for the vocals to lie on. I also find that, especially when recording, less gain is more. Layering multiple lower gain tracks (along with acoustics and clean tracks sometimes) sounds way heavier than one high gain track. All that distortion starts to make the initial attack of the guitar indistinct. Mic placement seems to be working.

Just my .02

• Members

I agree with cratz2. Mo mids fo sho. When you put that track in contrast with a band, the high frequencies will get lost amongst the cymbals while the lows battle with the bass for space, while you should be occupying that middle section, kind of making a bed for the vocals to lie on. I also find that, especially when recording, less gain is more. Layering multiple lower gain tracks (along with acoustics and clean tracks sometimes) sounds way heavier than one high gain track. All that distortion starts to make the initial attack of the guitar indistinct. Mic placement seems to be working.

Just my .02

No way man... that was worth at least a buck and a quarter. :thu:

• Members

Just my .02

Yeah it is sounding a bit too scooped.

Archived