"Learning to Let Go"

Anderton

• CMS Author

as a guy that does this stuff for other artists 95% of the time, my single biggest challenge is dealing with how musicians have shifted over the last decade to an M.O. of not being able to let something be done.

How so? As in "I want it to be honest, so don't re-tune my vocal."? or "I can do that at home so I don't want to pay you for it." Or something else?

• Members

Well, that's what I do. Doesn't everyone? My DAW has a button called "Hit" and I just click on it
:idk:

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have got the cheaper version that has the "Filler" button instead...

I think the way to avoid the cycle of never ending mixing is to have a good understanding of the entire project from pre production to the finished mix. That way if the mix isn't working you're more likely to know that you're chasing your tail trying to fix a problem that isn't a mixing problem but a performance, recording or arrangement issue.

On the other hand, if it's a difficult mix but everything has been played appropriately for the end goal, it's just a mix that might take ages but you know where you're going with it so that's ok - you're not thrashing about blindly.

• Members

How so? As in "I want it to be honest, so don't re-tune my vocal."? or "I can do that at home so I don't want to pay you for it." Or something else?

Rather than "not being able to let something be done" (for them), I think Ronan means not being able to decide a song or project is completed (as in the topic of this thread).

Best,

Geoff

Archived