EMG volume drop with bridge 81

Occam

• Members

I just put a pair oh EMG's in my Iceman, an 81 in the bridge and a 60A in the neck. The neck pickup is way louder and bigger sounding than the 81. It almost sounds like the 81 is out of phase but it sounds like this with only the one pickup on. Height wise I have it pretty close. I didn't wire these so I'm a little hesitant with unplugging things that might be correct. I had EMG's (pair of 81's) a long time ago and don't remember having this problem. Any idears?

• Members

I had a Godin Redline III that had the same problem. The 81 in the bridge was way quieter and less full than the 85 in the neck. I had to tweak pickup heights to get them to be a better match, though I think it also verified that I prefer the 85 to the 81 (I have also had guitars with 85 in the bridge)...

• Members

What do you mean "height wise I have it pretty close"? Do you mean both pickups are close to the strings? Because if so the neck pickup should be much lower then the bridge.

Oops. I meant close to the strings. The bridge is close and the neck is just a little bit further away. I play around with the height more. I might be able to go closer on the bridge but I'll need a shorter spring or cut the one I have.

• Members

Oops. I meant close to the strings. The bridge is close and the neck is just a little bit further away. I play around with the height more. I might be able to go closer on the bridge but I'll need a shorter spring or cut the one I have.

Or just lower them both, with the neck going even lower.

Honestly, regardless of pickup, I tend to keep my pickups lower than your average bear does. I honestly think most people have their pickups way too close to the strings and they overshoot the sweet spot.

• Members

Here's a pic of the Iceman:

d8e43935.jpg

Here's a shot of the current height. I usually don't have passive pickups this high up but I've heard you need to have actives closer to the string because of the weaker magnets.

63fa1d02.jpg

• Members

Iz likes MUCH!

Actually, what they say is that it's possible to put the EMGs closer to the strings because their weaker magnetic pull will not interfere with the string's vibration. Doesn't mean you have to put them close, though. They're powerful enough, just get a good balance at whichever distance you find it and enjoy.

• Members

Here's a shot of the current height. I usually don't have passive pickups this high up but I've heard you need to have actives closer to the string because of the weaker magnets.

63fa1d02.jpg

HOLY SHNIKIES!!! Can you even pay a note at the 24th fret without hitting the top of the pickup?

This is my idea of neck pickup height.

pickupheight1.jpg

I just measured that guitar and there's a full 3mm between the bottom of the low E string fretted at the 22nd and the top of the neck humbucker, and I'm pretty sure that it's nowhere as hot as your EMG.

• Members

Iz likes MUCH!

Actually, what they say is that it's possible to put the EMGs closer to the strings because their weaker magnetic pull will not interfere with the string's vibration. Doesn't mean you have to put them close, though. They're powerful enough, just get a good balance at whichever distance you find it and enjoy.

I always thought that's what they say about Lace Sensors.

• Members

Either way shouldn't the bridge be louder or at least as loud considering the output of the 81 compared to the 60?

With those pickup heights, I'd actually say no. Both the 60 and the 81 have the same output voltages. The 85 actually has a higher output voltage than either the 81 or the 60. Check out those specs in this PDF.

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/H_0230-0106D.pdf

At that point, you have to realize that the pickup closer to the bridge is going to get less vibration from the string than the neck pickup because the string vibrates in a wider circle towards the middle of the length than at the end.

Drop the neck pickup height to just a hair above the pickup ring. Drop the bridge pickup about 1mm (a little above the height of the adjustment screw). At that point, play with the heights of the pickups until the volumes balance out while playing clean through your amp. You might have to raise the bridge a hair above my recommendation, but that should get you close.

• Members

I had this problem too when I was wiring my 81 + 85 set. The 81 was in the bridge, and it was VERY weak sounding, even when the 81 was right up close to the strings. I left it for a few months, then took the whole thing apart and rewired it. It works perfectly now. I think it was just a wiring issue. I can't exactly pinpoint the issue for you unfortunately, but I think a careful rewiring would do the trick.

I'm assuming you've set the electronics up correctly as well (25k pots, stereo jack and fresh battery)?

Archived