Egnator Rebel or Renegade?

photon9

• Members

Thinking of putting some of my tax return towards a new amp.

Local GC has a Renegade for $750 and Rebels are $899 new.

Specs look pretty similar except for wattage.

I'd probably trade in my Vox AC30CC2. Simply don't need an amp that big when I have and prefer my SF Twin.

Suggestions welcome.

• Members

I played the renegade. I liked it more than the rebel but they were both pretty good. Issue I had was (at least with the stock speakers) they sounded a bit muffled. With my les paul, I had to crank the treble on the Renegade to get any real clarity and my LP is NOT a super dark sounding guitar.

if not for the voicing I might have bought the renegade because it has great tone controls.

• Members

Ok, I've played a tweaker, and it is a nice sounding amp. But with only one channel, I found it somewhat limiting. You could make up for this with pedals, but at that point....

And that's what I did by buying the Line 6 M13 to go along with my Tweaker :D And I'm LOVING IT! But hey, if that's not your approach - to each their own :)

• Members

And that's what I did by buying the Line 6 M13 to go along with my Tweaker
:D
And I'm LOVING IT! But hey, if that's not your approach - to each their own
:)

That's cool. It just occurs to me that (other than price) there are lots of REALLY good single channel amps out there that are just as good or better. If he has the money for the rebel or renegade, that might be the ticket.

Personally, I really want to try the new nighttrain. I liked the tweaker a lot as well. :D

• Members

I use Rebel 30s. I'm really happy with them. Never played a Renegade, but the clips I've seen sound great. I think you'd be happy either way.

Being a single channel amp, I don't think the Tweaker really compares with the other two.

• Members

The tweaker doesn't have reverb which is kinda a dealbreaker for me.

I've read some reviews that complain of a noisy fan on the Renegade (at least it has a fan I suppose). Anyone have similar issues with the Rebel?

• Members

The tweaker doesn't have reverb which is kinda a dealbreaker for me.

I've read some reviews that complain of a noisy fan on the Renegade (at least it has a fan I suppose). Anyone have similar issues with the Rebel?

I havent had any fan issues with my Renegade (fingers crossed) but i love the unique sound it has, i love plugging straight in....ive yet to try my Super Overdrive in front or my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop yet....

• Members

I havent had any fan issues with my Renegade (fingers crossed) but i love the unique sound it has, i love plugging straight in....ive yet to try my Super Overdrive in front or my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop yet....

Nice. I'm very tempted to pick that Renegade up now. The used price seems decent enough for GC. I'll have to give it a test drive tonight.

• Members

Nice. I'm very tempted to pick that Renegade up now. The used price seems decent enough for GC. I'll have to give it a test drive tonight.

Yes that seems like a good price, although i dont know what model you are going for...head only or is is a combo?? Even the head only goes for $999 new...my combo was just over 1k new....$750 is a good price if the amp is in good working order, i'd check to see if you still have a warranty either through CG or Egnater....you'll love the Renegade though.

• Members

Yes that seems like a good price, although i dont know what model you are going for...head only or is is a combo?? Even the head only goes for $999 new...my combo was just over 1k new....$750 is a good price if the amp is in good working order, i'd check to see if you still have a warranty either through CG or Egnater....you'll love the Renegade though.

It's a combo. Going to test run it after work and see what they'll give me for the AC30 in trade. Definitely will check on the warranty too. Thanks for your help.

• Members

It's a combo. Going to test run it after work and see what they'll give me for the AC30 in trade. Definitely will check on the warranty too. Thanks for your help.

GL, hope it works out for you, think you are really gonna like the Renegade man, just hope they don't hose you too bad on your trade in...

• Members

GL, hope it works out for you, think you are really gonna like the Renegade man, just hope they don't hose you too bad on your trade in...

Thanks. I picked up the AC30 used for fairly cheap and I have no financial reason to get rid of it so if they aren't around where I want to be I simply will keep it around for a bit longer. Maybe try to sell it on CL or Ebay.

Archived