Stripped truss rod nut. Advice?

photon9

• Members

I just found out that my Tele's truss rod nut is stripped. Bought it used a few years ago and decided it needed a little tweak but alas the allen key hole is practically round. It wasn't something I thought to look for at the time.

The relief is about 1 - 1.5 mm which I can live with but it would be nice to get it a little straighter.

Is there any way to fix this or am I just screwed?

Thanks!

• Members

What I usually try first on a reamed out allen socket is a one-size-larger allen wrench, ground or filed down so that it can be force fitted into the socket. I'm not a big fan of screw extractors, but I would think that's another possibility that ought to work pretty well on this. I would not chuck it up in a drill for this, but in some kind of hand chuck so you can feel what you're doing. Also, if you can get to the top of rod, it might help to get a little penetrating lubricant on there before you try to break it loose.

edit: And, it you do get it off, don't put that one back on there.

• Members
What I usually try first on a reamed out allen socket is a one-size-larger allen wrench, ground or filed down so that it can be force fitted into the socket. I'm not a big fan of screw extractors, but I would think that's another possibility that ought to work pretty well on this. I would not chuck it up in a drill for this, but in some kind of hand chuck so you can feel what you're doing. Also, if you can get to the top of rod, it might help to get a little penetrating lubricant on there before you try to break it loose.

edit: And, it you do get it off, don't put that one back on there.

^^^^This. Also, be aware on some Fenders the nut is round at the edge of the opening but still squared off on the inside. You can then use a one size smaller allen wrench to go inside the rounded area and still "grip" the inner threads.

Archived