How loud are blues jrs?

twotimingpete

• Members

Steviesnacks on YouTube makes his sound fantastic, but I've borrowed a mate's a couple of times for rehearsals and I hate it. Loud enough for a band, just, but no cut, no bass, no tone. I play a BF Deluxe Reverb normally, and there's a world of difference. Get a DRRI if you can swing it - I've never tried one but if it sounds anything like mine it'll be a massive step up without costing too much more in terms of money and size.

• Members

You specifically said a "loud" drummer. No chance. It has no headroom at all, and although it has the same power section as a Pro Jr it is nowhere near as loud in a band setting. It almost completely disappears if you have a piano player IME.

It's not a bad sounding amp for the price, but if you want good old Fender tones look elsewhere, it's a little bit Vox-y if anything.

This. My drummer is an animal. That combined with what comes back on stage from the PA, particularly from the kick from the subs, the BJ wouldn't stand a chance without PA support. It would be okay for a little Brown Eyed Girl in the corner of the Mexican restaurant band I suppose, but for a thumping rock band, not even close.

• Members

then I will kick my 6505+112 in then look out kids, wish the Jr had more power though I got mine on trade for my old cab. I take it to my GF on the weekends to jam out:) The bj III is improved with a new speaker, sparkle mod. I would like 40 watt deville or something like that next to play around with. My favorite store getting Splawn amps in cant wait to try some brown sound:)

• Members

I gigged one for quite a while. They can hang with a drummer. I like the sound of them.

Once I got my hot rod deluxe, I never gigged the blues jr again. The hot rod deluxe has a much better clean tone, and more usable bottom end.

I have seen hrdx's on craigslist for $300 - $400 - a better gigging amp, imo.

• Members

I said loud drummer because drummers I play with/migth play with have a tendency to beat the {censored} out of the thing.

I'd be more concerned with whether my amp AND my drummer were good enough to play for the room ;)

• Members

If you get one, pair it with a larger speaker cab with nice efficient speakers like v30's, it will make a big difference. I had one of these amps and while they are loud enough by themselves they sound weak and have a hard time cutting through cranked in a full band setting, but pairing it with a nice 4x12 makes a world of difference imho.

Archived