Selling guitars on Elderly (or similar)????

braif

• Members

Does anybody have any experience selling guitars or amps on Elderly or some other online consignment place??

I have a few guitars and a few amps that I am about to want to sell, and I don't want to screw with e-bay or craigslist

Good idea or not?? What can I expect!!

• Members

well you can def expect to pay a lot more than using ebay that is for sure. Elderly's is my local shop, i know they charge a ton for consignment but usually will get it sold pretty fast. what is your beef with ebay? i know it sucks for selling but seems like it would be a more cost effective.

• Members

well you can def expect to pay a lot more than using ebay that is for sure. Elderly's is my local shop, i know they charge a ton for consignment but usually will get it sold pretty fast. what is your beef with ebay? i know it sucks for selling but seems like it would be a more cost effective.

No real beef with e-bay, except that I haven't used my account since 1998...couldn't remember my password if my life depended on it... and don't have any seller (or much buyer) feedback...I guess I could get a more active buddy to put it on e-bay but I'm hoping that Elderly will handle shipping, insurance and any un-pleasantries like non-paying buyers and such...I don't mind paying for the service if they can get top dollar and relieve me of a lot of stress.

• Members

I have sold a Les Paul and a Mesa amp through Elderly, they charged me 15% for consignment, both sold very fast, were painless. I didn't have to worry about some lunk head coming to my house, I didn't have to worry about shipping, for me it was absolutely worth it.

• Members

You almost certainly have a local option. My local mom & pop consigns (20%), puts the stuff on the floor for local traffic and on the website so the world can see. Plus, I can drop by every now and then and keep an eye on 'em.

• Members

i am not sure how their out of state consignments work but wouldnt you still have to ship it all to elderly, right? i am guessing they dont just list stuff based on what people tell them or from pics. so you either have to ship to elderlys, risk them sending it back (they turn stuff down all the time and are notoriously picky about what they will sell), and then they ship to buyer or you just ship directly to the buyer - my point is that somehow it has to get from your house to the buyer. also i still think ebay would get a higher price and be seen by more people. but yes it probably would take more work on your end, the risk of non paying bidders really wont cost you anything but time bc you shouldnt ship until payment clears, i believe you can also relist for free if that happens. but if you just want all out convienence and can afford to pay for it go for it but my bet would be ebay even though the fees have gotten ridiculous.

• Members

Thank you all for the replies!! :thu:

There is a local shop or two that I could probably try to sell them on, but I don't know that many eyes would see them...I think Elderly gets a fair amount of traffic...I'm not dead set on Elderly but they are the only online consignment seller that I know of that has a pretty good reputation (as far as I know.). The amp is a collectors item and extremely rare...it will take the right buyer to see it and know what it is and what it's value is....the guitar is pretty good I guess....a Rickenbacker 325V59 in mint condition (it's been in it's case except for a grand total of about 10 minutes since 1996)...I don't think they would turn that down either, but then again, I think it takes a specific kind of buyer to want to pay decent money for it and that's why I want to get it somewhere that will get a lot of eyeball time...I am definitely considering the e-bay option, but I'd like to get some more info on consignment sellers so I can make an informed decision.

Archived