Actually finished a song.

twotimingpete

• Members

I took it upon myself to try and record something full length.

Feedback is welcome, keeping in mind that I don't really know how to be a vocalist or want to be one, so crits on my vocals aren't going to really matter.

I think I actually had a much more firm idea about what I wanted to do musically than what I wanted for the vocal melodies. When I have a singer this is one of those times when I'd ask them if they could come up with any ideas for melodies.

http://www.scumvalley.com/misc/mdre-f.mp3

stock (other than wilkinson 3 saddle bridge) fender standard telecaster and SX cheapo bass.

• Members

Wow. Thats awesome and very inspiring.

I liked your vocals actually - they suit the music very well.

The guitar toanz were very impressive- how did you record them?

I'm hoping to start recording at home soon and if I can get close to that vibe I'll be very happy.

My only minor critisism- turn the {censored}ing crash cymbal down!

• Members

Wow. Thats awesome and very inspiring.

I liked your vocals actually - they suit the music very well.

The guitar toanz were very impressive- how did you record them?

I'm hoping to start recording at home soon and if I can get close to that vibe I'll be very happy.

My only minor critisism- turn the {censored}ing crash cymbal down!

thank you for the compliment.

the guitar tracks were recorded with my tele into a pod studio ux1. if I recall I mostly used an ac30 style amp.

it's pretty much impossible to get fake-drums right, if you're someone who really just wants real drums (like me). maybe one day I'll be able to record real drums on my songs.

let me rephrase: it's impossible for *me* to get fake drums right. maybe other people can. :)

• Members

Very nice song - only one section I didn't like as much as the rest - the bit around 1.32-40 - just felt a bit disjointed compared to the rest. Excellent guitaring and well mixed. I thought the fake drums sounded OK (what did you use?). Parts of it reminded me of some of the guitar on OK Computer (eg. Let Down).

• Members

Very nice song - only one section I didn't like as much as the rest - the bit around 1.32-40 - just felt a bit disjointed compared to the rest. Excellent guitaring and well mixed. I thought the fake drums sounded OK (what did you use?). Parts of it reminded me of some of the guitar on OK Computer (eg. Let Down).

regarding the drums, they were put together using a sequencing program called acoustica beatcraft. kind of painstaking but it gets the job done.

• Members

thank you for the compliment.

the guitar tracks were recorded with my tele into a pod studio ux1. if I recall I mostly used an ac30 style amp.

it's pretty much impossible to get fake-drums right, if you're someone who really just wants real drums (like me). maybe one day I'll be able to record real drums on my songs.

let me rephrase: it's impossible for *me* to get fake drums right. maybe other people can.
:)

On the subject of drum programming fruity loops is good - easy work flow, sounds good in a mix.

Also I'm a big Reason fan. Reason is one of those things you either love or hate.

The new one (5) has a drum modeler that is meant to sound amazing and is fun to use plus of course gazillions of samples and a groove generator which gives it more of a natural feel.

If you get a genuine copy (:lol: yeah I know) it can come bundled with Record which is a full DAW.

Also, one of the clean sounds you used in the verse sounded a bit like a sequenced synth -I like the way you layered the guitars but I think a few bits of analog synth would also suit your sound.

That part reminded me of a darker Cars!

• Members

Some really nice stuff going on there. My thoughts:

- The guitar part from 0:18 - 0:25 seems like it could be catchy but needs to be fleshed out a little and a little more prominent in the mix. Maybe tweak the tone a little.

- Very nice, head bob inducing, rhythm parts under where the vocals first kick in.

- I like the vibrato

• Members

On the subject of drum programming fruity loops is good - easy work flow, sounds good in a mix.

thanks -- I tried fruity loops in the past and wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. maybe I should try it again and make more of an effort to learn it.

thanks everyone else who commented, it's appreciated. Going to start on my next big song soon.

Archived