What's the easiest, safest way to smooth out rough (sharp-ish) fret edges?

GAS Man

• Members

What's the easiest, safest way (for the fretboard) to smooth out rough (sharp-ish) fret edges? I've got a new Fender Road Worn '72 Tele Custom and the fret edges feel a bit bitey on my fretting hand. Besides that, the guitar is pretty cool, but the fret edges are among the worst I've experienced in my guitar purchases. Nothing "Road Worn" feeling about them. (the neck does feel great though ;))

I'm wondering if the fretboard will swell a bit since it's birth place in Mexico is quite a bit drier than its new home in the far corner of the Pacific NW.

• Members

as you thought I would wait several days for the wood to "settle" before I do any filing. But if it still feels rough you can pick up a fret end file pretty cheap. And tape off your fret board and take your time.

I have this file and its a pretty good design. He has a video on there as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Fret-End-File-fit-Strat-Tele-PRS-neck-luthier-/220788695893?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3368082355

• Members

as you thought I would wait several days for the wood to "settle" before I do any filing. But if it still feels rough you can pick up a fret end file pretty cheap. And tape off your fret board and take your time.

I have this file and its a pretty good design. He has a video on there as well.

Thanks. I may just have to pick that file up. I've also got a MIK BC Rich NJ Mockingbird that needs a trim.

Archived