Duncans 59b vs PGb?

charvelstrat81

• Members

I'd suspect they cover similar ground. Never compared them in identical guitars, but my general impression is that the Pearly Gates is a bit brighter and more aggressive than the 59 though I must confess, there were a number of years in between those guitars.

For ZZ Top... the Pearly Gates should be pretty close. :lol:

I'd expect player ability and amp/pedal choice would be about 95% of the overall tone with the pickup being maybe 3%, as long as you're comparing such similar models.

• Members

I'd suspect they cover similar ground. Never compared them in identical guitars, but my general impression is that the Pearly Gates is a bit brighter and more aggressive than the 59 though I must confess, there were a number of years in between those guitars.

For ZZ Top... the Pearly Gates should be pretty close.
:lol:

I'd expect player ability and amp/pedal choice would be about 95% of the overall tone with the pickup being maybe 3%, as long as you're comparing such similar models.

I love the duncan description of the PG "rude paf with texas sizzle" :lol: the pup will be going in a alder super strat

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just put a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my OLP and a 59 in the neck. Great pickup combo. I like the PG. Aggressive and bright. Great mids and high end cut. It balances well with the 59. The 59n is my favorite neck pickup. For me I like the PG or a JB in the bridge with the 59 neck.

Archived