So, Craig, will the Apollo be worked into your UAD review soon- or a separate review?

Bookumdano2

• Members

It looks interesting although no midi i/o (maybe I'm the only one left who uses midi). UAD does though promote "deep support" of programs like Cubase. Seems that midi i/o would sorta be required for that.

Thunderbolt being an optional card SEEMS to be a good move.

As I understand things, Thunderbolt in general is currently on copper and will move to optical next year... instantly making any current copper Thunderbolt connections out there obsolete.

Having a slot there is probably wise rather than commiting to copper. At least that's how I understand the infant thunderbolt/LightPeak technology as it stands.

Looks like their ATR102 plug is not recommended to run in real time off the input of the Apollo. At least, that's how I read the info over at UAD.

Win 7 support and multi-Apollos in one system support sometime in the summer I guess. So not a purchase for me any time soon.

Anyway, my information or misinformation would be cool to hear about in a review.

• Members

I talked with the UA people at the show, and they're already talking about a separate pro review for Apollo so the existing one can continue to concentrate on plug-ins, and the Apollo one on the hardware.

As far as MIDI goes, I agree although these days, it seems everyone is moving to MIDI over USB. Fortunately there are lots of inexpensive 5-pin DIN MIDI-to-USB adapters.

Archived